The Big Scherrer Tasting Note Thread

Be sure to offer tickets on Berserkers Day, Fred.

Sorry, I’ve been in a remote location without internet or cell reception for a few days.

Was it safe? It’s usually safer to open a Zinfandel because it won’t be subject to being compared to the grape grown locally.

I opened a bottle recently and I’m
still kicking. Wine was really kicking too.

1 Like

I saved it for another day.

Had the 2013 OMV last night and kicking myself for not getting a few more of the verticals during Berserker Day. Beautiful wine. Nice red fruit with some acidity, really just balanced flavors and delicious. Definitely not going downhill anytime soon.

Quickly killed a bottle of 2013 OMV Zin. Man, is this elegant and resolving nicely. Wish I had plenty more. Besides the Geyserville, this is right up there as my favorite Zin. Awesome stuff. Hoping to visit Scherrer Winery late this year.
DE8BE6D7-DC12-4E8F-BA5E-025BD39DFDE0.jpeg

Tried a 2013 green valley hallberg vineyard pinot last night. Wow surprisingly light on its feet. Bright acidity. Tasty!

Great to read this note. I plan to open one soon.

2013 OMV Zin over the weekend. Drank really smoothly. Let it sit in the glass for 2 hours before drinking. Will wait a few months before trying the 14’ OMV.

Going to hold the Platt Pinot a little longer and try the Chard pretty soon.

2008 Sonoma County Pinot. Simply delightful and still running strong. Great balance, lots of fruit and acid.

He started doing RRV Pinot futures this year. I bit for a case.

Holding the Platts a while is not a bad strategy. They tend to have a bit more tannic structure that melts over the years. That said, with the right food they are spot on. 2013 is a bit more open and would not disappoint if you crack it open right away.

Saturday, I finished a bottle of 2015 Platt that had been opened 5 days prior (traveling and busy). It was in perfect shape and had resolved just enough.

F

Marc, that 2008 Sonoma County PN is a total sleeper. Due to some issues with the vintage in certain parts, it was rather ignored at release. That bottling is my way to draw from wherever the components need to be from in order to make a delicious wine with an upward trajectory. I’m glad you had a chance to try one with a few years on it.

My foray into Scherrer wines was last weekend with a 2013 Chardonnay Helfer purchased this past BD…it was fantastic!

• 2013 Scherrer Winery Chardonnay Helfer Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (2/16/2020)
    Pop and pour; consumed over 2 days; bright nose of tropical fruit and lemon; palate was initially lemon and pretty white flowers, then tropical fruit; nice, mild acid and very balanced; day 2 showed a nose that was more suave, very pretty and elegant; the palate was more tropical fruit intensive with a little coconut on the backend and butterscotch; overall a little richer and rounded than day 1; liked it best around 65 degrees

My first Scherrer Chardonnay and definitely a winner!

Posted from CellarTracker

Cracked open the 2012 Platt Pinot last weekend. It was great, but I think fell a little short of the 2013, which is just fabulous in every way… Have a handful of the other pinots, will be giving those a go over the next few days. It’s Scherrer week in my house starting tomorrow.

I think all of the local Berserkers should coordinate a meeting at Freds place. I would totally be in . And I’ll drive.

I bought 2 of the OMV packs, tried one of each and put the other three in storage.

IMO, The 2013 is the only one close to ready although the 2015 was delicious 4 days after opening. I didn’t have have the chance to test the 2014 with multiple days open.

Brig you start this thread 6 weeks ago and you only have one tasting note? Come on man, get with the program!

Couldn’t resist, opened another of the 2013 Platt pinots tonight. I could literally just sit there and smell the wine for hours, I’ve never had a wine please the nose so much. Definitely in my top 5 CA pinots of all time.

On tap for Fri and Sat is the 2013 Big Brother and the Gunsalus.

1 Like

Challenge accepted!

Like others, I should have purchased more so I’m not hoarding.

Fred said he will be back next year for BD12 so I got that going for me.

We opened a 2013 Helfer Vineyard Chardonnay recently. Big time crowd pleaser in the house. This was drinking beautifully. The 14 and 15 probably won’t last long in the cellar now.

had a 13 OMV last night…man was that delicious

I just pulled the '13 chardonnay from the box and put in the refrigerator.

Don’t leave that bottle unattended after opening…its damn good and someone may over serve themselves [cheers.gif] [dance-clap.gif]