The Big Scherrer Tasting Note Thread

2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Scherrer Vineyard - clearly young, but drinking great. Cherries, chocolate, and herbs. Good acid to support the fruit and soft tannins. After a week of drinking Pinot here in Sonoma, it was nice to mix it up with this delicious Cab.

Finally was able to get some quality time with a Scherrer.

Red berries and light caramel/maple aromas. Palate is a bowl of wild fruit, raspberry, cherry and classic zin berries. Even a hint of cassis, go figure. The backend shows the oak influence. Hold a few more years and probably hits its stride at 10 years if you prefer the secondary notes. Elegant.

Posted from CellarTracker

About 6 years ago I picked up a bunch of magnums of both the 1998 and 1999 Scherrer Cab Sauv Scherrer Vineyard. This thread reminded me I still have one of the 1999 left. Think I’ll pop it tonight and see what’s what.

In the meantime here’s a note on the first magnum of 1998 I opened five years back:

• 1998 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Scherrer Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (12/25/2015)
    Deep purple colour. Benefitted from standing for most of a week: plenty of fine sediment. Decanted for a few hours. Resolved tannins, full bodied, silky texture. Masses of black currant, black licorice and cigar box, with a lengthy finish. Not overly complex but what it DOES deliver, it delivers with style. A hit at family Christmas dinner. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Opened a 2016 OMV last night. Still on the young side, but coming into its own. Lots of mushroom on the nose for me. Impeccable balance, although it’s still on the early side for the fruit to explode.

I’ve been buying a mixed case of zin futures for years now (easily the best deal in wine), and my self-restraint to let these sit for at least 2 years post-release perennially fails me. Particular the Shale.

Had a ‘14 Alexander Valley Cab over last two nights. Seemed a little wound up day 1, but got into its groove Day 2. Made the wife say “this is good wine!” Couldn’t agree more, probably has a couple years until peak, but good now if you can’t wait.

I had an extensive 5 hour tasting and photo shoot with Fred on Friday. He mentioned he had sold a little wine here. I’m re tasting everything two days later. That’s what he suggests to get the full expression of the wines.
fred_7739.jpg
fred_8021.jpg
fred_8021.jpg

When Fred had a full beard he looked like a statue of the one of the apostles on a Gothic cathedral… now he looks like somebody who plays pedal steel guitar in Fresno.

Just a bit… LOL

This afternoon from magnum. Showing very well with red and blue fruit, plenty of sweet tobacco leaf, good level of acidity and some grippy tannins still hanging in there.
A1B75284-698D-4DED-8720-29B1238EBB97.jpeg

2013 OMV. PNP. Such an elegant zin. I got savory aromatics (Grassl Liberte), went great with Flannery burgers. blackberry, blueberry and cherry, with the earthy, brambly hallmarks of zin. Bold, but not jammy or hot. Fine tannins balanced with medium acidity. Red cherry finish. Sally would have enjoyed this.

I thought you said I looked like a gargoyle.

Someday I’ll play Fresno.

Fred, you are a gargoyle but you keep it well hidden.

Whatever happened to winemaker bands?? Did they go the way of Dad Bands?? There were several good ones on the Central Coast.

Did you ever notice that you never see Fred Scherrer and Frank Zappa at the same party? Humm…

Good point
And every time I go to the winery Fred hides his recording studio and tells me he is going hunting

2013 Old and Mature Vines Zinfandel
This is an exceptional Zinfandel in a red fruited, medium bodied, more elegant style. Some acidity is present to provide lift but it does not seem obtrusive in any way, and the tannins are nicely rounded at this stage. Truly delicious! Consistent with other Scherrer wines I’ve enjoyed, this is likely to drink well for years to come. 93 pts.

1 Like

So I think my claim to fame may be that I am the originator of the mixed case of Zinfandel. Seven or eight years ago you could only get a case of OMV or Shale Terrace on the futures program. I asked Judy if I could get six of each and she said yes. The next year that option was offered to all.

2 Likes

Nice work! [cheers.gif]

This '08 Calypso syrah went perfectly with a grilled filet for Valentines Day. Some old world funk, ripe black cherries, fine grained tannins, balanced fruit with acid, just a real pleasure.

I am dining with a Burgundian buddy tonight. Would it be safe to open the 09 Big Brother??

I am dining with a Burgundian buddy tonight. Would it be safe to open the 09 Big Brother??