The Alan Eden Memorial Poll - What Saxum Magnum should I open at BF 10.2

Jay - FIFY. More Alan-like in spirit and in spelling.

You have to read his Facebook page. My quote had the beauty of being a . . . quote.

Hmm, so 21 votes for the wine that is ‘not going to happen’. Jay, you have no logical way out of this now. In Alan fashion, you dangled the controversy carrot and now you must eat it. Alan does it again! [bow.gif]

Yes, that’s Jay H in a nutshell.

Thx Greg. It was a long time coming, not unexpected and very peaceful. She passed at 1am on her 89th birthday leaving us a final gift of being able to celebrate her arrival and departure each year on the same day

May her name be a blessing David. A life fully lived, unlike our friend Alan

Yup, opening anything less would make Jay look bad.

Oh yeah! You want to know how I get out of this . . .

Would you like to share a glass of my 1908 D’Oliveras Madeira?

Then why did you use capital letters? [snort.gif]

Wish we could be there.

Jay, you do realize that the unintentional result of this post and poll is making you come across as using this opportunity to brag about how many magnums of Saxum you have, right? I mean, you listed one and went so far as to say you won’t open it. So then why put it up there? What’s that all about? A mine-is-bigger-than-yours type of thing? Look at me: I have all these expensive magnums. Oh, and my Shrader and Colgin on the floor. And a bottle of 1908 Madiera I’ll casually mention…

I suppose you’re just trying to be Eden-esque…or so I hope…although he didn’t wine brag. Open the '07. Not doing so would be poor form and bad optics.

Not only did Alan not brag, he chastised those who he believed were boastful.

Yes, of course I recognized how it would come across. However, since I don’t spend my posts talking about my Jayer and Truchot and DRC and Petrus, and a magnum of Saxum costs less than a 750 of almost any current vintage Grand Cru Burg, all I am really bragging about is that I am smarter than the average bear and have been on the list for long enough to be offered magnums which, I would also point out, I have offered to share with anyone who wants to come to my house on Saturday and eat some of my free food. Frankly, I’m OK with that. [cheers.gif]

Well there ya go then. [thumbs-up.gif]

I took it in the spirit of generosity, as Jay doesn’t have to open anything or have people over. And I say that as someone who’s planning on attending on Saturday and as someone who doesn’t really have any real interest in drinking Saxum [cheers.gif]

But you’re still opening that Rousseau, right Jay?

I do not own any Rousseau, BUT I have a bottle of 1973 Mouton that my wife is fed up with taking up space in the cellar, and that is on the block. There are a few other antiques that I may open if no one else steps up to the plate.

For as long as I know Jay, he’s generous to a fault. If I recall, this is his 3rd shindig, and he never asks for a dime. He refuses contributions. The good thing for me is that there will be plenty of California cabs for me/us to drink and enjoy. Well, not everyone > Mark Golodetz. neener Even thought he makes fun of the wine I enjoy, there’s something about the guy that’s likeable. [cheers.gif]

Here is Jay making an incredibly nice gesture, and he gets pilloried on the board. So let me add my own snide comment, and ask why he didn’t buy a decent bottle of my or six of Palmer instead.

Since he’s not opening the 2007 James Berry that means the Olga Raffault is firmly in the lead! [wink.gif]

It will only be a fitting tribute to Alan if we fight.

I should let this die by letting it move to the second page, but Alan would never do that, so I guess I have to post again to bump it up. Foidermaw, using my best Brooklyn accent, FMIII started it and not only was his comment thoughtful and not the least malicious, but he has earned the right, so its OK with me.
Yes, I know that there’s supposed to be an apostrophe in its, but if I’m going to troll people, I might as well go all the way.