The 2017 Rose Thread

Glad I am not alone on the 2016 Liquid Farms. Wasn’t impressed at all. A lot of positive reviews on CT though.

A wine I discovered a while back at HdR was the Withers Rose. It’s about 60% Mourvedre and 40% Grenache. Good body & fruit, with very well-balanced midpalate acidity. Retails for ~$20 and worth seeking out for a domestic rose.

Bruce

Can anyone report on the Thivin rose? I love Thivin but haven’t always loved Beaujolais rose.

Returned from Italia a few hours ago, only a few thousand notes to catch up on. That said (before I fall asleep), I need to mention one of the more exciting wines of my trip 2016 Proprietà Sperino Coste della Sesia Rosa del Rosa. Always solidly over-performs its modest price point; this year, it’s strikingly good. A multiple case purchase.

Doing a bit of rose tasting tonight, will report back. Love this time of year, we drink so much pink. A bit disappointed the Tavels haven’t hit Seattle yet, but theres still months to go so I’m sure we’ll drink them when they materialize!

Got a bottle each of the Triennes and the Gobelsburger. Though I’ve had the Gobelsburger Riesling and Gruner many many times, will be trying both Roses for the first time.

haven’t tasted many 2016 roses yet, but one that I loved after tasting today was the 2016 Folk Machine gamay noir rosé. $15 locally and worth every penny to me. I hadn’t known much about the producer until fellow LA rookie GAParker brought a pinot noir from them to a tasting that was WOTN, and this was much along the same lines – fresh tasting, pure flavors, outstanding QPR. Excited to try more from them including their chenin blanc and more pinots, but the rose was just really nice. Also hoping to try more from ones I’ve tried and enjoyed in the past like Bedrock, Tercero.

Reporting in on the 2016 Chidaine Touraine… fantastic QPR for $14. Aromatic green strawberry and orange zest on the nose. Palate is clean, with good focus and acid, red fruit and a bit of watermelon girded by a woodsy component. Not hugely complex but a joy to drink. 89+

Just tried the Gobelsburger last night. Maybe it’s just my palate, but I found it to be very sweet.

People use the term “liquid crack”, but Larry Tercero’s rose’ is pretty close. See how long a bottle lasts sitting on the deck with friends.

I tried and really liked the 2016 Puech-Haut Prestige last night; it has excellent acidity and an almost saline quality. Very good QPR ~$17.

Bruce

We thoroughly enjoyed this at the Windsor Thursday Night Summer Concert Series. Beautiful warm evening, 2016 Idlewild “The Flower” Rose, huge Cubano sandwich and a pretty good Tom Petty cover band. Damn good evening :slight_smile:.

Burnished copper color, the 2016 version was cofermented together. Blood orange, grapefruit flavors, loads of acidity and a distinct savory mouthwatering note. Very easy to drink, as it warmed a bit some wild strawberry notes came through. Glad to have more of this for the summer.

We had a bottle of the 2015 Domaine de l’Olivette [Bandol] rose the other day with sauteed fish. It was excellent, one of the best roses I can recall. The back of the label claims vines have been on the estate since the 6th century, along with a moderate 13% abv. It has great depth and a nice crisp edge to it. I find so many roses are just watery tasting to me, and usually would prefer a white wine in the same context, but this was not like that. Maybe its made somewhat differently, but I thought most Provencal rose is just saignee / bleed off by product. Rose season is coming to an end, and I think this was the last bottle of still pink wine in the house.

The whole bottle was guzzled up at dinner, and we were turning the bottle upside down to get the last tasty pink droplets!

So figure this can now become the VINTAGE 2017 Rose Thread…

Had my first 2017 of the year- Triennes- always one of the lighter styles, this years version strikes me as even lighter than usual both in color and style. Could be confused for a white wine in a blind tasting. Clean and refreshing, but perhaps a bit too light for some situations (i.e. with Burgers like Sunday at lunch).

We had the 2017 Bodegas Olivares ‘Rosado’ [Jumilla] the last few nights. 13% abv, but feels light. Mostly grenache, with a third monastrell. Light salmon color, buoyant feel to it. Unlike so many watery roses this has some pleasurable depth to it. Enjoyable pre prandial quaffing. The label looks charmingly old fashioned, sort of like Lopez de Haro. I’d drink this again.

Last night we went out for supper and I had some sole in a rosemary cream sauce over roast baby carrots, which was terrific. Along with that we had a bottle of the 2017 Mourgues de Gres rose [Costieres de Nimes] which was a fine accompaniment – bright, fresh, and flavorful. Color is on the pale salmon side. If this is a typical example of their rose, I’d buy this again. The estate’s reds are on the heavy, extracted side but keep well.
IMG_20181117_201131.jpg
Rose season is coming to an end for our household, as we rotate into the winter wines.

Say it ain’t so . . .

I have a bottle each of your last two, so I’ll keep it going.

One of the great things about coastal California is that Rose season never ends, it just undulates through seasonal variations.

-Al

Becoming a big fan of California rose - specifically from Arnot-Roberts, Pisoni Lucia (“Lucy”), Bedrock and Matthiasson. Each from a different AVA!