The 2017 Rose Thread

I also love the Clos Cibonne wines. I think they make three or four Roses and I don’t think I’ve tried the Tentations, which I believe is a fairly recent addition. I think both the “Cru Classe” and the “Cuvee Speciale des Vignettes” are aged under the yeast fleurette, both are quite good. I also think the former is mostly Tibouren with 10-15% Grenache, and the latter is 100% Tibouren from their oldest vines. It would be interesting to taste them side by side.

-Al

2016 Domaine de Triennes Rosé Vin de Pays de Mediterranée
Very pale pink, watermelon and strawberry, floral, very fresh and crisp, not especially complex but quite tasty. This is mostly Cinsault with Grenache, Syrah, Merlot, and you can find it for under $15. I often have a bottle in the refrigerator because it’s one of the wines I use for cooking lighter dishes or for occasional glasses of Rosé.

-Al

2016 Robert Sinskey Vineyards Pinot Noir Vin Gris
Dynamite bouquet and slightly riper than the palate with peach, strawberry and summer flowers. White peach, orange blossom, and mineral tones dominate the palate with laser like acidity and a surprisingly long finish. Endless food pairings here although this wine can definitely hold its own. Was a bit of a splurge (around $30) and a bit of a gamble never trying any of the Robert Sinskey line-up but a very pleasant surprise. Fairly impressed with the quality of domestic rose recently.

I finally got around to trying the 2016 Schloss Gobelsburg Gobelsburger Cistercian which is much lauded on this board and for good reason. Under screwcap, this was good on night one but was just fire on night two. Night one this was spritzy and energetic, mineral with barely any fruit presence. On night two the mineral note remained but the spritz had settled and the overall vibe was really fresh berries, still in a very lean style. Great stuff and exceptional value; I grabbed six more.

at the shops we have over 70 rosés at present
here’s a few faves -
As mentioned above Clos Cibonne - always a fave
Bermejos Rosé of Listan Negro is whack - deep flavors, some grip, but fleet of foot.
Le Cengle from Aix-en-Provence always has a great dollop of pink Grapefruit, and is very refreshing
Joguet’s Chinon Rosé is like strawberry and watermelon water with a kick.
Garofoli’s rosé is 100% montepulciano and vinified with the slightest pink blush. balance and bright fruit dominate
Scaia rosato is 100% rondinella and is perhaps the lightest in color of all the rosés in the shop
Unti’s mourvedre dominated rose was perhaps released a few weeks too early, but has now come into its own as a pretty nice wine. If you closed your eyes while drinking you wouldn;t know where you were - certainly not dry creek…

Nice notes Jeff thanks!

I also love the Bermejo, but have had trouble finding it locally the past few years.

-Al

2016 Gramercy Rose is fantastic.

I had this wine last night. At first blush (pun intended!), this year’s version is particularly beguiling. I buy every year, but this version just seems on. I picked up on the melon note as well this year (imagine those times when you’ve had a cantaloupe at perfect moment of not-to-sweet ripeness – that’s this wine). Love the balance and cleansing acidity of this wine. Tempier rose hitting shelves marks the start of summer for me and makes me very happy, like south swells starting to wrap into Malibu Surfrider in June! Despite rising prices, the wine delivers great value to me – I know that may seem crazy to say about a $40 rose.

Some recent, all from Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa.

Two standouts:

2016 Domaine du Caillou Le Caillou Rose $18
2016 Quivira Rose - Perennial favorite for me. $18

Pretty good:
2016 Sidebar Cellars Rose - Around $15

Dissapointing:
2016 Pink Pegau

And some others:

Usually don’t prefer Pinot based rose but the Dehlinger and Rochioli are both nice, but with a definite nod to the Rochioli ($28) for me.

Picked up a case of '16 Scherrer Rose. Fred opened one for us to taste when we were there in March right after he had finished bottling the whole lot. This was a no-brainer at around $22 per. Bright red cherry, hints of strawberry and watermelon, zippy acidity, crisp, fresh, just an excellent syrah/grenache rose.

Big Rosé tent tasting this weekend in Santa Fe. Will see what is available and good this year but nice to see the recommendations. Really do like the Gobelsburg.

I’m a raving lunatic fan of all the Château de Roquefort wines, but his Corail Rosé from Côtes de Provence is outstanding. Spicy, fresh, loud aromatics, clean, impeccable
http://www.deroquefort.com/de/wines/wine/corail-2016-pour-fevrier-2017

Bottles we’ve drank so far this season:

2015 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Ramble on Rosé Santa Lucia Highlands - Kind of disappointing. OK at best, a bit too much mineral/saline.

2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Ode to Lulu Old Vine Rosé - Good stuff, always enjoy the Lulu’s.

2015 Wilde Farm Wines Rosé - Was ok, not wowed by it but nothing special.

2016 Liquid Farm Mourvedre Rosé Vogelzang - Liquid crack? Yeah, i dont think so. Maybe it was the hype but was a bit disappointed.

2016 Copain Pinot Noir Tous Ensemble Rosé - Wowzers, super delicious, A+, would gulp again.

2016 Walter Hansel Rose of Pinot Noir - Frigging awesome. Always look forward to the Hansel Rose and this year was no exception.

I find the idea that rose is only to be consumed during warm months weird. Why not all year? We drink white all year. And I eat food that pairs well with rose all year round, after all. It’s always seem odd to me…

We love the Triennes for a lighter provencal style and we buy Dme Brana Harri Gorri, which is much fuller bodied, in quantity every year. The Brana, IMO, is better with a year or two of age. The flavors don’t change much, but it becomes more integrated and seems more in balance. Though it will hold for a few years after that, it doesn’t develop much more. We are drinking the '14s now and they are stellar.

Sarah, agree about the Harri Gorri. Just had a 2013 that was fantastic.

Also agree about rose in winter. I drink more of it in the summer, but definitely drink some in winter, too, when it’s a good match for the food.

2016 Fabien Collonge Beaujolais Rose is just fantastic, $11 at K&L!

So, big tent tasting yesterday of Rosés and others. I concentrated on the Rosés.
The very good Hecht and Bannier, Cote de Provence Rosé 2016, Gassier Cotes de Provence Rose "la Pas du Moine 2016, Pink Pégau, Rosé 2016, Fleur de Mer, Cotes de Provence Rosé 2016, Marchesini, Bardolino Chiaretto Rosato 2016, Matthiason, California Rosé 2016, La Spinetta, "Il Rosé di Casanova 2016, Comm. de Peyrassol Cotes de Provence 2016.

Disappointing Gobelsburg, Rosé Cistercien, 2016 not what I usually get from them and unpleasant sour taste on this. Not flawed but also not good. Liquid Farm gloppy mess and way overpriced for a Rosé at $28.

Had my first bottle of Triennes this year earlier in the week - had a small group for dinner on a very hot night and this wine hit the spot. Also served 2016 Schloss Gobelsburg Gobelsburger Cistercian, which also was good, but I agree with others that the '16 Triennes is very crisp and lively, and at $12.99, a home run.

I agree that Hecht & Bannier is making impressive Roses, the Bandol being (unsurprisingly) even better than the Cotes de Provence. I’m not much a fan of Pink Pegau; while I love Pegau’s CdP, none of their lesser wines has ever impressed me or appeared to much reflect the house style. Surprised about the Cistercian, bad bottle perhaps?