Thackrey Orion 2005

I drank this a little over a year ago in Sean’s memory and was reminded of his wines after seeing a recent mention in another thread by Marc Hanes and thought I would put up a brief note since there isn’t anything current here or on CT. I don’t typically drink ‘big’ CA wines but as most would probably agree Sean’s wines were pretty unique and they weren’t just typical booze bombs.

This is the oldest Orion or any Thackrey wine I’ve had. Initially found it a little dull and perhaps over the hill. Like his wines usually do, it morphed with air and became fresher. It kind of waffled between those two stages until the bottle was empty. Sometimes fading, sometimes perking up. Always bringing something different. A little too dark, ripe and heavy for me to love but definitely a fascinating and unique drink. I think they’re better with fresher fruit even though this could still probably run another 5-10 years. Who knows, maybe it will even evolve to the upside but I found it a little straightforward and monolithic compared to previous experiences where the fruit jumped around a little more. As much as I am a fan of what Sean did and have spent a lot of time in Bolinas which makes these that much more special to me, I decided to sell my remaining bottles that were bought on release.

1 Like

The 1992 was once my WOTY.

3 Likes

The 1992 Sirius was one of my favorite labels ever - “Doomed Vines” for the vines that were being ripped out

Such fun, kaleidoscopic wines when they’re on.

Dug up a half dozen older Thackrey wines while plundering my dad’s cellar. There’s a 2005 Sirius (grapes from Eaglepoint Ranch) that I will likely open soon.

2 Likes

If I am not mistaken, @CaseyHartlip used to manage Eaglepoint Ranch.

1 Like

Yup

And he made some wine from there

1 Like

Brought a ‘90 Orion to Falltacular last year and it showed wonderfully. Seans wines really are timeless.

3 Likes

Last week I opened a couple real oldies, first a 1992 Pleiades, the rare vintage dated bottling, which would have been compelling (I think) were it not badly corked. My backup was a Pleiades V, which I think dates to 1996 or 1997. It was great. Wild aromatics, very herbal, layered dried fruits and enough tannin to keep it running. I am not sure later releases have the inherent structure of the the early Pleiades, but we shall see. Sean was truly one of Cali’s most unique and compelling vintners, and I feel lucky to have a few older ones to explore.

3 Likes

A neighbor sent me an email from a wine broker in CA and while I didn’t buy anything from the broker I have learned that they are working with Sean’s estate and the wine library. It’s been a few months and while I check in with them monthly no offers have been made. Has anyone heard or done business with
https://www.grovestreetbrokers.com/ I’ve been emailing with David Rosen.

The folks at Grove Street sold some wine for me many years ago. I would assume they are pretty solid if they are still around.

Does anyone know who’s buying the fruit from Rossi vineyard now?

1 Like

I thought some of it was going to Sixteen 600