Tell me about your best wine steal from the last 2 years

neener

Jealous of seeing all the old wines purchased for pennies on the dollar back when microsoft wasn’t even a company. What’s your best wine steal from the last 2 years?

My yearly allocation of Roumier.

Well, there was this wine storage facility in Seattle, and …

agreed. [snort.gif]

1996 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Riserva Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba for $200 four months ago.

Where did you find that one Charlie! WOWsa!

Three of us were having a dinner at a restaurant in central california. They mostly cater to California wines but had a few italians and burgs on the list. They were looking to get rid of them as they’ve been sitting there for ever. They had 5 I think and we got 5 of them at $200 a piece (I took two). Also got a 98 Masseto for $250. Definitely the best deal I’ve gotten in the past two years.

Free Cab rosé my son made at a harvest job a couple years ago. Didn’t have to steal it, he gave it to me. This year he had Beckstoffer Cab for a rosé project and effed it up. Absolutely tragic.

'93 LGD for $90/btl
'88 Laurent Perrier Grand Siècle for $80/btl
'79 Piper Heidsieck Rare for $42/btl
'89 Bollinger Grande Année for $100/btl
'93 Jean Claude Boisset Grand Cru Corton for $10/btl

3pk 2010 Faiveley Moose, 700 per?

Masseto was $250 for the dinner…$200 take home!! :astonished:…hence my answer.

3 pack? That’s it?? That stuff grows on vines man. It’s everywhere… [cheers.gif]

Amazing price on a wine that is decades away from peak:

1996 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Riserva Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba
Tight nose. A backward beast. Black tarry fruit in the mouth. Monumental. Needs another decade or a lot more air. (98-100 points)

In 2004, I paid $193 and thought it was a good deal.

If you can let me dial back 5 years, I scored the 1990 version of the Giacosa for 85 euros at a spa hotel in Italy. That was a steal. In May, I had the 2004 Miani merlot for 200 euros at a wine bar in Rome.
Some of my best steals have been been liquor store employees pricing some of Zind Humbrect’s best wines at the level of their basic wines. I have seen this a couple of times and purchased a couple of bottles on both occasions.

I bought a bottle of 1990 Corte Pavone Brunello Riserva for $80 last NYE and opened it during a quite evening at home with my wife. Served w grilled Brandt Beef rib-eye, it was so profound I owned the other 8 bottles in stock at the Wine House before midnight! Every bottle I’ve opened has been gorgeous, think I have 4 left. I’m not sure that pricewise it was a “deal” but I just adore this wine and it’s a great QPR for my palate.

Well, not sure this counts but about 18 months ago I needed a few Vinotemp storage cabinets for the garage as the cellar runneth over. I answered an ad on Craigslist for two Vinotemps each with the storage capacity of 600 bottles (big suckers). The price was $5000 which seemed fair enough…but I didn’t realize that the price included all the wine in the cabinets. There were 650 bottles. This included over 10 cases of mixed Ridge wines back to 1992, dozens of old Calif Cabs (Beringer PR, Cain Five), Spanish wines, 120 bottles of Vincent Arroyo stuff to the 80s, about 3 cases of Piedmont wines (Vietti, Produttori from 1990), some Cote Rotie/Hermitage, low end CdPs, all sorts of guzzlers, plenty of drek, some good Calif sparklers (Tattinger Reva–tasty) and other oddball stuff I’d never buy but am more than happy to drink. And plenty of wine to cook with, for BBQs, for the in-laws, etc. Really had a blast going through it all. Lots of surprises–good and bad, but all the bottles are in great shape and clearly well stored.

5 btls of 2000 Ch Pape Clement for $47 each, opened one and it was great. Sitting on the rest…

So you needed extra storage space and you bought full wine cabinets…I thought I had a problem. neener

I feel the same about my Coche allocation.

5 cases of 2006 Grunhauser Abtsberg Kabinett for $2.39 per bottle.

Lol, great story. Was the guy selling just getting out of wine entirely? A phase he went through?