Tell me about Julien Labet’s wines.

TIA. Apprenticed at Ramonet, Jura wines. Tell me more.

Older thread.

Wasn’t sure if you had seen this.

They can be terrific! Concentrated but super-incisive. However, my mileage has varied when cellaring them. I still have some 2010 and 2012 Bardette (from Chardonnay planted in 1945), and quite a few bottles have been oxidized, even though those that haven’t are brilliant. You can find some more information on the website of their UK importer, Vine Trail. They are in Rotallier near Ganevat so on the more Burgundian end of the Jura spectrum.

2 Likes

his reds can be the best in the jura imo, particularly the poulsard en billat which is from vines planted around 1898. he really hit his stride in the 2016 vintage. the earlier vintages are good but i was really impressed with both whites and reds in 2016. never had a shot bottle. 2015 seemed to be iffy corks tho with quite a few tca affected bottles.

One of my regular retailers did a hard sell on me on these wines and I ended up buying and assortment of bottles from him. He always gives me good stuff and his pricing is usually fair, even with highly allocated wine. This is why I like supporting his shop. Anyway I have no experience with these wines and CT notes are quite sparse. I am a newbie as a newbie can be when it comes to Jura wines. I have also done a forum search and did read up on other threads but info is also quite old. Any additional insight would be much appreciated, especially on drinking windows.

Anyway I got the following.

2020 Domaine Labet Crémant du Jura Brut - Les Turbulents
2019 Domaine Labet Côtes du Jura Fleur de Chardonnay
2020 Domaine Labet Côtes du Jura Fleur de Chardonnay
2019 Domaine Labet Côtes du Jura Fleur de Savagnin En Chalasse
2020 Domaine Labet Côtes du Jura Fleur de Savagnin
2019 Domaine Labet Chardonnay Côtes du Jura Les Champs Rouges
2019 Domaine Labet Chardonnay Côtes du Jura Lias
2019 Domaine Labet Chardonnay Côtes du Jura Bajocien
2021 Domaine Labet Pinot Noir Côtes du Jura Les Varrons

prices ranged from $50 - $75

4 Likes

You got a great deal.

Drinking windows is difficult. The reds can change quite a lot in short periods. Whites, no rush but I don’t tend to wait.

4 Likes

the lias and bajocien are more entry level wines if you can call them that, as is the fleur de chardonnay. i would probably drink those first, but still no rush. the champs rouges and savagnins should go the longest. i just had a 19 red last night and it was in a perfect spot; ie there was zero reduction and no spritz on opening, just super aromatic and ready to go. if some fizziness will bother you i would probably still wait a bit on the pinot. either way you also will not go wrong popping any of them now so long as you give them the time they need to unfold. congrats on the great haul at more than fair pricing.

1 Like

Big fan of Labet’s wines!

The Fleur de Chardonnay used to be the cheaper “entry” level wine, but its price has more or less aligned with the others (deservedly!). I never had a Fleur that felt closed down in any way, so it would be a good place to start (go for the 2019). Had a 2018 not long ago which was good but still very young in its expression. So no rush on it.

Besides an 1998 (from his dad i guess), i haven’t had them with too much age. I think they tend to drink very well 2-3 years after release. Personally i am trying to save a few of my own Savagnin a bit longer, as Savagnin with age is a true wonder of the wine world.

Great prices by the way. Even in Europe it can be very hard to track them down at this price point.

2 Likes

Will try and pop the 2019 Fleur de Chardonnay soon, thanks all.

1 Like