Tell me about Gramercy Cellars...

(I generally dislike WA wine)

I had a smidge of their syrah the other night and thought it was pretty good. What say you?

Very well made wines including Rhone varietals, Tempranillo and Cabernet. I think Syrah is theiir strength particularly the John Lewis bottling. I find their wines to be very well balanced and food friendly in general.

I’ve had no experience with their wines…but think they got positive remarks from a friend…maybe worth a look.

They have a wait list so join and decide in the interim.

Having the pleasure of rep’ing their wine in Washington I will keep my opinion short.
Greg’s wines are to me interesting, balanced and distinctive.
Having had the ‘Idiot village’ recently I thought it to be very close in style to Cayuse with the Rocks funk, really delicious and balanced.
The Cab is very much in a cooler style showing more tobacco leaf and cassis than the normal Wa style of high toast and forward fruit.
If you would like to try an introductory to the style search out the ‘Lower East’ Cab or the very short supply ‘Lower East Southern Blend’, they can be had for under $30 and will give you a good idea of his style.

I had the 2008 Lower East Cab tonight. Nice red fruit and plenty of savory depth- excellent QPR.

Good stuff. Happy to open more for you ed.

Here are notes on some that i’ve tasted (for what they’re worth)

2010 Gramercy Cellars Grenache Olsen Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (3/12/2013)
Medium ruby. Slightly dusty nose with hints of florals. Palate dominated by strawberry and cherry. Hint of bitterness (?stems) on the finish. Very nice. 89-90 (90 pts.)

2010 Gramercy Cellars Syrah Walla Walla Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (1/23/2013)
Beautiful intense fruit but extremely well balanced. Secondary but definite flavors of white pepper and cedar. Almost no heat despite the intense palate. Great wine. (93 pts.)

2009 Gramercy Cellars Syrah John Lewis Reserve - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (5/5/2012)
First Wine Dinner with Friends (Toscana): Had this after some heavy duty cabs. Palate somewhat fatigued so not rated. I would like to comment that I found this to have an incredible nose. A crazy mixture of flowers, meat (I think beef), pine. The palate was well rounded and soft with flavors of olive, dark berry, and hint of chocolate. Tough for me to give a number rating in this context, as it should have been consumed earlier in the evening.

2007 Gramercy Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (3/24/2012)
At MK Chicago. Gorgeous fruit. Not overly complex or tannic, but enough acidity to balance out the fruit. Medium to long finish. Excellent. (92 pts.)

2009 Gramercy Cellars Syrah Walla Walla Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (12/29/2011)
Similar to last bottle- really like this wine. Well balanced not over the top. (92 pts.)

2009 Gramercy Cellars Syrah Walla Walla Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (12/12/2011)
Dark berries on the nose. On the palate hits you with dark beautiful fruit. Faint tobacco notes and pepper on the back end. Nice long finish. Very well balanced interesting wine. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

We tasted there in October, during harvest. I really like the wines and plan to pick up some more in the coming months. I like their syrahs more than their cabs. I did not realize there was a wait list for the club now though. Interesting.

Hi Scott, it’s been too long! champagne.gif

Thanks all, great info!

We had the John Lewis Syrah, I believe the 2010, not long ago as part of a blinded Washington, California, France Syrah tasting. Much of the French stuff was Cornas or St Joseph, I remember a couple of Gonon wines. Most of us took the Gramercy to be French, which I think is high praise for any wine coming from WW.

I checked their site last night after reading this thread. There were several wines listed available for sale on the site, with no special login required.

The club is something different.
There are many wines released to club members that are not commercially released to the public, including their estate Syrah.

Got it.

Stylistically, Gramercy is going to be very food friendly, with great balance. None of their wines have even been “jammy” to me. They use a lot of whole cluster fermentation, and are generally one of the first wineries to pick every year. I would agree that their strongest wines (to me) tend to be their Rhone varietals, but their Tempranillo and Cabs are delicious as well.