Tailgate question - what's the most expensive wine you have ever drank from a red Solo cup?

1992 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne while a passenger on the NJ Turnpike.

2003 Pegau da Capo at a weenie roast at our summer cottage. And it was a red Solo cup.

1999 Petrus in a styrofoam cup compliments of Mclaren F1 team after USGP in Indy.

Has anyone noticed how much wine those red cups hold, and how quickly you seem to go through it when you drink out of them?

You get out three red cups and pour wine into them, and the whole bottle goes in without it even seeming like the pours are big (you probably fill three red cups about half full to pour out a whole 750ml bottle). And then you drink it at least twice as easily/fast as you would out of a wine glass. I’m always amazed by how different the quantity and flow seems when you drink that way.

It’s a great way to get drunk fast.

I always bring insane wines on my remote elk hunts. Last year was 2003 Jamet Cote-Rotie Cote-Brune with fresh Elk heart ring-steaks on the campfire grill. 12,000ft elevation, the fresh kill and a lot of hard work packing it out of the canyon made it all taste that much better. Red Solo cups.

As far as a proper Tailgate scene-49er game last year, we drank Leflaive, and M.Mugneret…but I brought stems for that so it probably doesn’t apply.

The Solo Cup was Green, Go State!, and the wines were '79 Mouton and Lafite…

02 araujo while fly fishing off our pontoon for northern pike.

Not red solo but…
image.jpg
image.jpg

I find this inexplicably hilarious. That’s a cool story to have.

Did you pair that 61 Cheval Blanc with a hamburger by chance?

I thought you hated merlot?

On a 3 day hike in the Tahoe region.
1963 Graham.
1963 Fonseca.

TTT

Tailgate?

Wine?

…ok, people… Listen up!

There is a time for wine and there is a time for beer. A tailgate is NOT the time for wine. If it is, you’re doing it wrong.

That is all.

Big +1

Beer is for distance. Wine is for speed. Higher ABV. You probably drink Coors Light.

and did you store it in your hallway closet?

While I have drunk wine out of a Solo cup, that would never be the case at a tailgater. Tailgate parties require real stemware, and needing to use plastic cups shows a lack of proper preparation. We have several dozen of the old Riedel “Gourmet” glasses (a nice big bowl with a very short stem) that we have packed and ready for the next event. I can’t match DRC, but we have drunk Krug, Ramonet, Leflaive, and a host of notable others in various parking lots.

59 Cheval Blanc from magnum, served with a fine platter of cold cuts. One of my most memorable bottles ever.

Not the most expensive but made for a great Avignon-Paris train ride!
IMG_1361.JPG

Drank 2010 Ravenswood Big River Zinfandel on Friday night out of the red cup as we walked around the neighborhood with kids. I think that kind of big, joyous wine works relatively better in those situations than a cerebral / conemplation wine.