SWR: A Fungus Amongus

Interesting article in today’s NYTimes on the black fungus that grows in Kentucky, Scotland, Cognac and elsewhere because of the “angel’s share” of ethanol being spewed into the air by the distilleries:
ClickOnMe

It mentions that wineries have alcohol recovery systems that prevent the “angel’s share” from spewing into the air. Anybody know what they’re talking about and what they do w/ the recoverd alcohol???
Tom

I know a fungus that can make you see angels, but it looks different than that [wow.gif]

What the article says: “[The plaintiffs’ lawyer] believes the distilleries can borrow a technique that California wineries use to prevent the escape of the ‘angels’ share’ and stamp out Baudoinia.”

Like you, Tom, I have no idea what that technique might be - and am skeptical that such a technique exists (not that a plaintiff’s lawyer would ever overstate the case).

Any winemakers want to chime in here?

Meanwhile, more on the Baudonia fungus:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/05/ff_angelsshare/all/

1 Like

Ethanol emissions contribute to ozone production in the atmosphere. Starting about six or seven years ago, very large wineries in California were required to reduce ethanol emissions. This may have been limited to certain counties, certainly in San Joaquin county that has some huge wineries, but I thought Santa Barbara county was also taking steps. Not sure about the technologies employed, since I haven’t worked in wineries nearly that large.

-Al

I was going to post this in a new thread in Beer/Spirits rather than in Wine Talk, but our new software told me we already had a thread on the same topic, so I’ll post it here. Anyway, new article saying the whiskey fungus problem is getting worse in these boom times for hooch.