Swiss BASLER KÄSEWÄHE

Right now is Carnival of Basel, 19.-21. february. Have a look:

Carnival of Basel - Wikipedia

Die Basler Fasnacht – immaterielles Kulturerbe der Menschheit

During Carnival or what we call „Fastnacht“ a special dish is served, „Basler Käsewähe “. It is a kind of Quiche mixed with Swiss cheese fondue. I grew up on the frontier to Switzerland, so this Basler Käsewähe is familiar to me and brings back good memories.

Ingredients

220g flour
100g lard or frozen butter grated
2-3 tbsp cold water
pinch salt

300g Gruyere cheese or each 150g Gruyere/Emmentaler from Switzerland
nutmeg
3 eggs
250g heavy cream (30%)
150g milk
salt&pepper

Quiche form: 28 cm or 11 inch

Preparation

1. Combine flour with lard/butter incl. a pinch salt by hand or machine and add cold water during kneading.

1. Make a ball and wrapp in clingfilm. Put in the fridge for 1-2h or even overnight.

1. Roll out the dough and put in the Quiche form. Now put the form in the fridge for 30-60min.

1. Meanwhile grate the cheese and combine heavy cream, milk and eggs and whisk with a fork or by machine. Also add salt and black pepper.

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 C fan or 220 C / 400 F. Make some holes with a fork in the bottom of the dough. Also add baking paper and dry beans for blind-backing, around 15min.

1. Remove the Quiche form from the oven and remove baking paper and beans. Add grated cheese and a bit grated nutmeg.

1. Now add the egg-cream mix. Put the form in the oven for around 20min

1. Let it cool down for 5min.

1. Ready to serve………

3 Likes

How do the dry beans come into play? We always had onions in ours as well

The dry beans incl. baking paper are only used for blind-baking of the dough.

It is not necessary, but when I use a lot of liquid for a Quiche then it is helpful to pre-bake the dough for 15min. After 15min I remove the beans&baking paper and add ingredients and finally liquid.

Try it without onions, much more sublime in my view.

P.S. it looks delicious, isn’t it. :joy:

1 Like

Ahhh, Käsekuchen! So delicious!

We encountered this in a lot of places throughout the year and not just Basel.

Sounds and looks delicious!

What wine did you have with it?

I had a 2021 Keller „von der Fels“ and was a good match. Much too young of course, but I was in the mood.

Classic would be of course a Swiss white wine like a Chasselas for example. But almost any white wine works with it.

1 Like

P.S.

a green salad is a good partner with the Basler Käsewähe.

Sounds like a lovely match.