Surprise at the response of latest Rhys offer

Me too. I wish all of the mailing list, online/brick and mortar retailer, wine club, and similar posts were put in the Wine Pimps area, which is supposed to be about wine retailing. It would make it easier to sort through both forums and find the ones we are actually interested in.

Wine pimps is about the business of wine, producing and selling. It’s not about what people are interested in buying or drinking. I do commiserate with David and you on all the buying posts.

Funny tk see this, I took a back seat the last couple year with Rhys and opened a few old bottles recently that were great and I bought for the first time in a while on this release. Even without WB telling me I needed to buy!

Well, well, well, how the turntables.

2 Likes

I almost never post in “the new phone book’s here” threads, but since that seems to cause such consternation, I bought some wine from my Rhys offer today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Driving is illegal?? Or am I missing something?

Not sure I’d word it that way. They took shortcuts which risked doing harm had there been an unseasonable downpour due to runoff. There was no rain. They fixed the risky-temporary short-cut, and made a very generous settlement to restore a wetland unrelated to the one they put at risk.

It’s fine to not want to buy from them, understanding the facts. But, somehow, some people read the thread where this was all sussed out and still believe the hyperbolic scandal rag clickbait that preceded it. And, of course you all happily buy from producers who’ve done much worse. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like

So that makes it OK? And those who choose to vote with their wallet are wrong?

Seems to me that if more people chose to not incent actions like this, they would be less likely to happen, but you rationalize supporting it how ever you wish.

1 Like

Like who?

The central thesis underlying this entire thread is that the amount of posts on this board pertaining to a specific winery is proportional to the volume of wine that board members purchase from the winery, or to overall popularity of the wine in the general wine-buying population.
This is so ridiculously fallacious a premise that I can’t believe it’s generated this much discussion.

2 Likes

Again, they were required to remediate.

Are they supposed to be permanently shunned? Do you shun all businesses that have ever had environmental issues? How about employment issues? Tax problems?

I’m still waiting for the Dutch to remediate the left bank in Bordeaux.

1 Like

No Claret for you. :wink:

1 Like

I believe it and find it hard to believe you haven’t seen this happen countless times. Not that I disagree with your observation.

2 Likes

Medoc made by the Dutch early 18th century? indeed!
…And Sauternes a century later… Monbazillac was then the real deal but Bordeaux merchants were unhappy about being in the hands of Dordogne peasants so developed Sauternes. Monbazillac was already trading in Middle ages…

I won’t comment more on this except for the following, to believe that we harmed a “wetland” requires belief in all of the following:
-On a 4500 acre mountainous property (which other than 25 acres of vineyard we are placing in a conservation easement), we would choose a wetland to locate a vineyard
-That we would choose a wetland at all for a vineyard site, since all of our terroir focus is on well-drained rocky soils
-That a “wetland” could exist on the top of a ridge at 2000’ elevation

We made mistakes (primarily not protecting ourselves with proper permitting) but we certainly did not harm a wetland.

15 Likes

I have been extremely impressed with Rhys chardonnay, especially with some age. Here’s my notes on the last 2 that I had:

• 2010 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (9/22/2021)
    Open that bottle (Dan’s): Pop and pour. The color is golden yellow, darker but not concerning for the age. The palate has butterscotch, a touch of sherry/oxidation, golden fruit, and plenty of acid. The oak is well-integrated. There’s no way someone would think this is Burgundy, it’s a California profile that is not over the top and has aged very well. I’ll drink my last bottle by the end of next year. (94 pts.)
  • 2009 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (4/22/2021)
    Single-blind Chardonnay (zoom): Drank a glass single-blind over 1.5 hours. Darker yellow. The palate is creamy with nice acidity and slight minerality. There is some oak, vanilla and a long tangy finish. This strikes me as full-bodied without coming across heavy. It did remind me of a California wine due to its impressive and semi-exotic flavor profile. My #2 wine of the tasting but Wine of the Night for the group. (94 pts.)

Ah, nothing like a whataboutism argument

Nothing like not answering the question.

Are they supposed to be permanently shunned? It’s a damned slippery slope.

Would you please elaborate? I have had my share of Rhys Corks break in half, but never effecting the wine, and mainly like they are too tight - is there something else?
The '13 Chards have great TN’s - was looking forward to popping one. I read thru 3 years of TN’s on CT, and only 3 bottles reported - two from someone named Stumpy.

Thx