Sun PM TNs: Sea Smoke, Relic & Cabot - Round 2 of 3

Enjoyed these over a dinner of grilled wild Louisiana shrimp and Flannery Hangar Steaks…

• 2004 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Botella - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (5/24/2009)
    Popped and poured. I’d second Rob’s note. This was a nice bottle of wine, has nice clean Pinot flavors, not nearly as rich or thick as I remember my other bottles. Showed a lot of sharp cherry, mushroom/forest floor/earthiness.
  • 2007 Relic Wines Ritual - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/24/2009)
    Decanted 4 hours. Deep color. Brambly, blackberries, earthy, dusty, road tar, coffee nose. The depth of flavors in this wine is stunning. Balanced, rich. Dark fruit, dark chocolate, baking spices, smooth tannins. Amazingly approachable now and with the structure to develop.
  • 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah One Barrel Kimberly’s - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (5/24/2009)
    Decanted 4 hours. Strong nose of smoke, roasted meats and bacon fat. Very interesting wine, smooth, rich, cracked pepper and more smoked meats with nice viscosity and a long finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

have had both the 04 & 05 Botella since the 1st of the year. really strong tea notes were dominant thru both bottles i tasted. i liked the 05 more.

Thanks for the notes. Just brought an 04 Botella home. I have been unsure about good timing on it but it sounds like it is coming along nicely.

Thanks for the note on the One Barrel.

Jason

Thanks for posting a note on this one. We are shipping out this wine to quite a few people this week and this note will let them know they didn’t just buying some random swill from Humboldt County. :wink:
John

In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, I was not paid to provide this tasting note, although I do know John and Kimberly and have dined with them in the past. We each paid for our own meals and shared a bunch of wine. I have purchased other wines from John and have always used my own money to do so.