Summer Heat: Who has the Most Wine 'Pending Delivery'?

[cheers.gif]

He’s a Good Boy.

40…more than I thought.

Since I’m a senior collector, I have cut back ; only 193 (including '16 Futures).

Not to rain on anyone’s parade but getting a couple dozen shipping boxes grosses me out. A couple years back I received about that many in a week during the fall shipping window and looking at all the boxes and inserts made me feel shitty. Luckily, I have a local friend who is an importer and can recycle the boxes to send out samples to his customers but I still felt icky about it.

In addition to the shipping boxes, there are bottles with the corks half soaked and other issues. If I had bought them locally, I’d take them back, but there generally isn’t that kind of recourse with many of these online stores. I also steer clear from grey market sources because of highly variable results.

Depending on where you live, do you really need to buy from all over the country? If you supported a good local store, you might be surprised at what you could be able to do. I live in NC and have just accepted that I can’t get everything and to mostly source from local stores. I’m not perfect, I do participate in HDH auctions and sometimes can’t resist the charms of bottles from Chambers or a couple others I have a long relationship with.

I also sort of like the idea of having a cellar that is “look what I was able to put together in NC”. As I said, if you develop a good local relationship you might be surprised at what they are able to find. Importers have to allocate most wines to all markets, not just the coasts. I’m also reminded of a dinner at a longtime ITBers house. He worked in wholesale for several companies across 30 years. He loved wine, but wasn’t obsessive. His cellar was full of bottles that he picked up along the way from the places he worked. I found the unexpected and organic nature of it really cool and that’s what I’m trying to do now.

lucky number 7…

I’m at 284 purchased for the year with 65ish of those pending but waiting on a few more releases, Turley & Chappellet off the top of my head.

On a buying freeze since Memorial Day, so only 4.

45 (not including not-ready-to-ship futures and prearrivals)

<100 too!
(98)

57 from Garagiste
15 Rhys
14 Envoyer
6 JJBuckley
6 Delmas

If it’s domestic, I buy straight from the winery (which is shipped)–and even if the winery is rarely available in my home state–the wines I get I have never seen at local retail (Bedrock being a prime example). I’d say 80% of my wine comes from Envoyer and Fass Selections–which also largely offers wines not distributed in my local market. The rest of mine come from auction.

I used to have a LOT, until I started getting help for my addiction. Now, just a handful and I am much happier.

36 and some of these are futures, like 2017 Burgs. Really trying to cut purchases.

This makes me feel so virtuous and disciplined! Thanks everyone!!

Well. Increase my total by 28. Oops.
I’m on call and I ordered via impulse.

oops
never mind

^ This

Of mine, most are from Hudelot-Noellat, Clerget, Bernard Moreau, Taittinger and Chateau Climens.

Howard, was your purchase of Clerget driven by tasting the wines at the Paulee?

Ray Walker has you beat…by miles. [snort.gif]