Sub $20 Cabernet based wines

In our market, we don’t get diddly squat from Australia anymore.

A few years ago, we saw some “Three Rings” shiraz, from Chris Ringland, but that pipeline closed down real fast.

Ringland does have the “Southern Belle” label, with Dan Phillips, aged in old Pappy Van Winkle Kentucky Bourbon barrels, and coming in at something like 17.6% alcohol.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/southern+belle/1/usa

That’s definitely a BIG RED wine at less than $20.

Two Cal Cabs that I hawk at retail and haven’t seen mentioned: True Myth out of Paso Robles and Requiem out of Washington.

Yes, I rarely consider much from the US at this price point… so much of it has perceptible residual sugar.

Malbec from France, Temperanillo from Spain, and a host of red wines from Italy.

Syrah/Grenache/Carignan etc. from Languedoc-Roussillon.
Many examples at or near that price point.

La rioja Alta vina alberdi is a super value in rioja

2016 Josh and Twenty Bench are both drinkable and under $20. Both readily available.

Really great insights. Will be making a Binny’s run later.

Right at $20 but we’ve enjoyed Ancient Peaks Cabernet lately.

And, I’ll second the merlot recommendation. On days I want a Cabernet but not open an expensive bottle I’m reaching for merlot more and more.

Not super hard to find in WA, so I may have a bit of home bias on better pricing.

As for Merlot, that would open a world of WA wines, and frankly Merlot is more tannic than Cabernet in WA and acts more like Cabernet. Price points are generally well below $20 for very high quality wines, this includes BDX blends in WA that are Merlot heavy.

Also Turley Juvenile zin about the same price.

Good choice but most have sold out of it.

Dude.

In the future, could you warn us about that beforehand?

Everyone on this thread is trying to give you some serious advice, and you’re just gonna head off to a package store which services hobos?

SMDH.

At the around the $20 and under price point for reds I happen to really like and that frequently find their way into my rotation;

Chave CdR Mon Coeur
Coudert Roilette Fleurie
Lanessan
Olga Raffault les Picasses
Thivin Cote de Brouilly
La Rioja Alta Vina Alberdi
Cavallotto Langhe
Felsina Chianti Classico
Rodano Chianti Classico
Terre Nere Etna Rosso
Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz

Foxglove
Rabble Red
Louis Martini
CS Substance
Tapiz

You can also probably find some good Kirkland or Cameron Hughes stuff in that range.

A new wine in $20.00 Cabernet category called juggernaut ($18-21.00 and very tasty) by Bogle. Great QPR

The Bogle regular Cabernet at $10 is also an excellent choice.

Plus, another recommendation for Marietta Arme. Shockingly good.

Kiona Cabernet Sauvignon Red Mountain

Always a safe choice. Not too ripe.

Mount Veeder Winery Cab, or J Lohr Hilltop

Neither of those is sub $20 a 750 mL bottle and the Mount Veeder is $30-40 in most markets.