Sub $20 Cabernet based wines

Vina Cobos Felino Cabernet Sauvignon from Mendoza?

Rioja and Chianti are not the recs I’d be making for Cabernet substitutes, at least not typical Rioja and Chianto. But really – what are some examples of Cabernets you have liked?

I think Zinfandel is a good rec, though it usually lacks tannin. That may or may not be to your taste. But they are often big wines. The same for some southern Rhone reds or spanish Monastell like Altos de la Hoya.

I agree that Aglianico may be a good choice, as would be some wines from Ribero del Duero, Priorat, Douro, and Nero d’Avola. If you like leaner cabernet, maybe also Irouleguy and Cahors and even Chinon in riper years.

But I think specific producer recs will generally have to wait until you give us a few examples of Cabernets you’ve liked.

If you are going to stick to new world Cabernet - this Chilean Cabernet has always been my benchmark -

COUSINO MACUL - Cabernet Sauvignon - Antiguas Riservas

Try Veleta (Dominio Buenavista), contact Nola Palomar on this board to get some)

2014 Xavier Flouret Cabernet Sauvignon Oscar
(from Chile)

No specifics but there are many very good cabs from AU that are well priced, with the ones from from western AU being a bit more civilized.

Keep an eye out for quality half bottles. I’m often in the same boat as you, know I won’t drink a whole bottle, but want something that isn’t plonk.

I don’t have the experience with cab that many on here do, but I think Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Marqués de Casa Concha (out of Chile) is quite good for the money.

I recently had Educated Guess and found it to be too ripe for my tastes (albeit a well made wine). If you prefer a riper style then it may be a good choice.

I am still learning the ropes here and hope that I do not get banned for this - tonight we are drinking Kirkland Cabernet Oakville (2016). It was 18.99 at my local Costco and I can find absolutely nothing to complain about at this price point.

This stuff is yummy for the $15 tariff…

+1, good stuff in your price range. Good weekday sipper.

Good Syrahs from Santa Barbera County in that price range. Highly recommend Jaffurs for around $22-23. Loads of complexity.

He very clearly indicated that his interest was California wines.

No, the op did not.

For affordable Cabernet, I look to Australia. I’m talking about Yaldara (base bottling), Vasse Felix Filius, Leeuwin Prelude, Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run, Kaesler (base bottling), Thorn-Clarke Terra Barossa, and maybe a few others. These are not the Aussie fruit bombs from days of yore, but nicely balanced Cabs with good varietal character. (the Yaldara and Thorn-Clarke are ripe and fruity but not over the top, the others are more on the elegant side).

You’re correct… Man, I could swear I read and re-read that he referenced California, but it appears I’m seeing things. Must have been those Denver Magic Mushrooms I ate! :wink: Apologies all around!

No need to apologize Jim - instead double down! Spell it in caps! It’s the way we do it now.

Anyway, we all read or misread things from time to time.

But I can’t imagine any sub-$20 Cab that I’d really want to drink. A few years ago maybe, but $20 is the new $15, so you really have to go over $20 unless you want something sweet and uninteresting. As others suggested, I’d go to another grape variety. Aglianico is a good choice, or maybe Syrah, depending on the producer. Tempranillo from Ribera del Duero or Toro, but again, you’re going to be spending a few bucks more than $20 unless you shop sales and clearances. Xinomavro if you can find any.

Some of the suggestions aren’t bad - Novelty Hill for example, but that’s north of $20 these days. And don’t forget to look at Merlot - most people can’t tell the dif anyway and it’s often cheaper than Cab.

Here are five sub-$20 Big Red wines which I’ve sampled in the last few months:

Treana Cabernet Sauvignon
Paso Robles, California, USA
This is an exceptionally hot wine, which smells of cinnamon stick & cloves & Christmas cake & gingerbread cookies with peppermint frosting. It burns so bad going down that it reminds me of swallowing Bacardi Gold & wondering whether the lining of my esophagus will be able to regenerate itself or if I’ll be stuck with scar tissue for the remainder of my life.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/treana+cabernet/1/usa

2015 Clos de los Siete by Michel Rolland
Uco Valley near Mendoza, Argentina
58% Malbec, 23% Merlot, 10% Cabernet-Sauvignon, 8% Syrah, 1% Petit Verdot.
Quite smooth, nice sweet fruit, no obvious oak. Very polished winemaking for this style & this market segment & this intended audience.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/clos+siete/1/usa

2012 Vinalba Malbec Gran Reserva by Hervé J. Fabre
Uco Valley near Mendoza, Argentina
Very tasty Malbec fruit with a little age & just a touch of oak on it; can go a week or more without oxidizing.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/2012+vinalba+gran+reserva/1/usa

2016 Domaine Amido Merlot
Tavel, Southern Rhone, France
Big sloppy Merlot fruit with accompanying Big Oak; very aggressively priced for a wine which crossed the Atlantic from France.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/amido+merlot/1/usa

2017 Patrick Lambert Chinon “Gourmandise”
Chinon, Loire, France
Cabernet Franc
Big Dark Fruit, Huge Acid. Might offer a hook into The Dark Side.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/patrick+lambert+gourmandise/1/usa

If not the new $10.

There’s no question but that it’s gettting harder & harder every year to find great table wines in the sub-$20 range.

They’re there, but boy oh boy, somebody’s gotta invest a whole lotta elbow grease in finding them.