still rosé: does it achieve the same heights as white?

Sure enough, I agree with you: (my note)

11/10/2010 rated 94 points: Bright cherry amber, extraordinary savory palate of muted cherry and overripe citrus, light tannins, long racy dark fruit and grapefruit zest finish. Paired beautifully with prosciutto risotto, and certainly would be very versatile with food. Subtle enough that strong spice/heat should be avoided, but loaded with flavor on its own. Amazingly light on the palate for such intense flavor, drank best at cool-cellar temperature.

and with GregT:

LdH did NOT start out to make a rosado that was going to age. It was rather more by accident but they’re very smart people and they know that they have a cult following, so they sold it as a Gran Reserva. I applaud their entrepreneurial spirit and I like their wine but they’re pretty much the data point and their rosado is not nearly as good as most of their whites. It’s mostly just interesting.

Thanks for this information, I had never heard this genesis, but I have to agree, as much as I love LdH rose’, it is not at the level IMO of even the basic Gravonia white.

I thought this was terrific too:

2005 Château D’Arlay Côtes du Jura Corail (France, Jura, Côtes du Jura) 5/27/2011 SteveG 93

Light tawny ruby. Nose of orange peel and red berries, along with some leather and soil. The palate begins with underripe fruit salad, especially citrus pulp, rapidly tarting up towards the back, like pulverizing strawberries in one’s mouth. The finish is medium-long, mouthwateringly tart and strongly mineral. A little bit of everything here, drank lightly cool but not cold.

: but it certainly doesn’t prove anything, I think it is a mashup of the leftover savagnin, chardonnay, poulsard, trousseau, and pinot noir from their regular cuvees.

While you can bring up rare exceptions, I agree with Jim: no, but it doesn’t have to.

Does red wine even achieve the same height as white? Especially after some age? Not for me.

Cheers,
Bill