"Steak" wine for party around $30 bottle

Order the bastide from wine library.

This is not my experience. Granted my dataset consists of one group of 5 civilians that I introduced 2.5 years ago. They all love Calluna and especially the CVC given the QPR. All of them continue to buy regularly from Calluna now that they have tried it. Yet, it hasn’t really changed their approach to wine. still largely drink supermarket wine.

Also has been my experience. Unrelated but interesting, Calluna is one of those rare US wines that Gilman, Parker and Galloni all rave about. Not many wines can claim that :slight_smile:

Tom

Bastides Miraflors:

It is probably the Tessellae Old Vines: 2015 Domaine Lafage Tessellae Old Vines, France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon - CellarTracker

I just had this on Monday and thought it was nice and a good QPR, but not quite the QPR of the bastide miraflors. I did not get a chance to give it air which seems to help based on the CT notes.

Thanks Chris.

+1

And Lanessan
And Poujeaux
And Cantemerle
And Chasse Spleen
And Sociando Mallet

Austin Hope Cab '15 if you can find it that cheap still, '16 if not.

If it’s bdx, I like Capbern.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go with something like Bedrock OV Zin @ $20ish

Got a family reunion coming up next month and am responsible for buying about a half case of red wine for a steak dinner (ribeyes, skirt steaks). Budget is around $30 / bottle, any suggestions?

Stylistically, I really like Mount Eden cab, but that is over budget. I’ve also liked the '08 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza in the $30 range, just wish it had a bit less oak. Looking for good acidity, good fruit, and present but not harsh tannin. The every day drinking Italian sangiovese based wines in my cellar seem a bit rustic and/or devoid of fruit to be crowd pleasing.

Thanks all.

Where do you live? One of us would know a good shop to steer you to that won’t have over the top pricing. In Minneapolis the same wine that is $20 on sale might sell as high as $39.99 elsewhere.

LA, but I need to ship the wine to Arizona anyway, so I can reasonably buy from anywhere that ships into that state. One of my go-to shops out of state is SEC Wines.

Achaval Ferrer Quimera - People love this, it feels and tastes expensive to the average palate, new world but not over the top.

Rocca di Frassinello Le Sughere di Frassinello - Ditto, it’s velvety, but the Sangiovese keeps it bright and juicy.

Niepoort Vertente - Fruity in style but there tends to always be this underlying austerity that keeps this very refreshing with modest alcohol.

None are totally Mount Eden in style, but I’ve served them all at various events and both geeks and novices enjoyed them and they I believe they should appeal to your palate to a sufficient degree.

I’d pick a Margaret River Cab. These can have nice herbal and fruity aromatics, juicy and lively mouthfeel and are not heavy or tannic.
Leeuwin Art Series is my fav, but that is $40. K&L has a bunch of very reasonably priced ones that might fit the bill.

If I needed a half case I’d buy 3 Felsina Chianti Classico or CCR and 3 Luca or Tikal Malbec. Nice Old World vs. New selection and see how people react since all are balanced.

Disclaimer: we rep Tikal/Luca.

+1. Great value

[winner.gif]