SQN Questions

I hope that when I get my allocation in 403750286 years from now that this stuff is so good I just want to stare at in its paper wrapper.

I have always unwrapped bottles that come in paper when I unpack them (not just SQN, but also Saxum as several cabs). I’d rather see the label and not have to guess which wine it is when I pull to drink.

The 16 Deux Grenouilles white is a new bottle shape…and it doesn’t fit in a rack. :angry:

fun isn’t it

[drinkers.gif]

Quite a downgrade from previous WA’s scoring.

yes, but it is WK scoring, not WA…RP was WA for a long time, now it is more alphabet soup with the scores with no attempt by WA for consistency in the alphabet

grouphug

My 3 bottles fit fine on the rack. In a space meant for 4 bottles.

deadhorse

I’m on the list and I couldn’t tell you a score for any wine from the last 7-8 years. It really doesn’t matter what the next person in line at the WA thinks at this point. You know what you are getting with these wines and I dont think many buying decisions are made from the reviews. I guess it might affect the retail market, but if I was interested I’d at least want someone’s opinion who has reviewed them in the past to get a gauge on vintage quality compared to other recent releases.

These EBA’s were higher in ETOH than I was hoping they would be. It’s back up into the 16% range…

An honest question but hasn’t this always been the case? Or did these ‘dip lower’ in recent vintages?

And as far as ratings go, I wouldn’t think this would matter whatsoever if you are purchasing for your own pleasure and not to either resell or ‘impress others’ with scores.

I think it’s more ‘responsible’ for a new reviewer to review them as he or she sees them rather than ‘rubber stamping’ them based on the past - as long as explanations play that out.

Cheers.

Larry, the 2012 EBA’s were 15.6% which felt just right to me. I’m wondering what I’ll think of these EBA’s as they go back up in ETOH. The 2013’s were 15.9% and the 14’s are 16.2% (I think). So it seemed like there was a creep happening…I could be wrong. Hopefully the alcohol won’t be noticeable…but I don’t drink often and sometimes I notice it in wines as low as 14% so I’ll just have to wait (taste) and see.

Kirk,

From what I’ve tasted in the past, Manfred and his team do a wonderful job ‘masking’ their alcohol levels. I have read a note or two about consuming some of his grenaches at cellar temperature as opposed to room temperature to ‘keep things in check’.

I truly would venture to guess that most folks would not be able to tell the difference between a 15.5% alcohol and 16.1% alcohol SQN red - I can’t say the same, per se, for other producers or other varieties used.

Cheers.

Larry,

I definitely drink my red wines “chilled” 99% of the time. I usually decant them from the Eurocave (55 degrees) and then throw them in the fridge for 30 minutes. Rarely…rarely do I drink reds at “room temp” (65-70 degrees+). I do think that helps all the reds that I drink and I do think it’s a significant component to my tending to enjoy wines more.

Kirk,

Interesting. Do you find the wines that you enjoy ‘more challenging to drink’ at room temperature?

As you probably know, since aromatics are volatile, they are more ‘pronounced’ at warmer temperatures and ‘kept in check’ at cooler temperature. Texture changes with temperature as well - the cooler it is, the less bitter and tannic compounds will be noticed.

Strange question - but do you normally or prefer drinking your coffee with some sort of cream or milk instead of black?

Cheers.

Larry,

I rarely drink coffee. I do find it and many things too bitter. I also tend to smell (offensive) odors that few seem to notice. In particular mold & mildew.

I don’t know the answer to that question…In general I prefer all my beverages cooler even tea, and other warm beverages. I had a heat stroke while I was deployed on a mission in the Army so that may have some impact on it as well. While there are some things I’m ok with at less cool temps the list is few. Beer…I’m ok with beer being warmer. However, I lived in Germany when I was 20-23 so that could also be impacting things. As for the wines I like the most…I’d say I like most whites a little warmer than I like my reds. I think it really brings out more aromatics in the whites that I tend to enjoy. Does this help?

Yep, makes sense. As you pointed out, you are somewhat bitter averse - and that really does guide how wines ‘show’ for you. Most folks don’t seem to understand this.

For instance, a wine that I would find ‘bold’ (and I drink my coffee black and am not bitter averse) you would find ‘difficult to drink’ - and we are both ‘corect’.

Cheers

Did anybody touch base with them about shipping? Not thrilled that mine flew into Kentucky and drove up to Cleveland today.

why?

Anyone read “The Emperor’s New Clothes”?

Anyone read “The Princess and the Pea”?