Spring WILD GARLIC CHEESE PUDDING

It is not only white asparagus „Spargel “ season in Germany, but also wild garlic/ramp „Bärlauch “ season. By coincidence I came across this wild garlic-recipe by Nigel Slater online via GUARDIAN at the week-end. I am always happy for new „Bärlauch“ recipes and in addition I had fresh wild garlic-butter in the fridge. Lovely mid-week dish with a green salad incl. mustard-dressing.

Note : Nigel Slater wrote that „the interior is best when soft and melting, like a thick cheese sauce, surrounded by fluffy clouds of garlic-scented froth“ . In my view that is impossible to achieve with 25-30min in the oven and using stiff egg-whites according to the recipe.

Anway it was delicious for mid-week and certainly lovely on a warm day outside or balcony. Almost any white wine will work . Don`t forget to serve with a green salad!

Ingredients

300ml milk

1 small onion, halved

2 bay leaves

6 whole black peppercorns

50g wild garlic/ramp leaves, chopped

55g butter

50g flour

4 large eggs, separated

125g Gruyere or cheddar cheesee, grated

4 tbsp Parmesan, finely grated

soft butter for the form

20cm soufflé or baking dish

Preparation

1. Combine milk with halved onion, bay leaves and black peppercorns in a small saucepan/sauteuse. Bring almost to boil and turn off the heat. Let it rest for 1-2-3h

1. Melt the
    butter (me: wild garlic butter) in a medium saucepan/sauteuse

1. Stir in the flour and cook for 3-4min on medium heat. Stirring continuously to a biscuit paste

1. Remove the aromatics from the milk. Add the milk slowly with a wooden spoon to the butter-flour mixture. Combine everything until you have a smooth sauce. No lumps! Let it cook for around 5min and remove from the heat. Let it cool down!!!

1. Add the egg yolks and combine

1. Also add the cheese, chopped wild garlic leaves and combine

1. Whisk the egg-white until almost stiff with a little bit of salt. Add the firm egg-white carefully to the mix. No large lumps of egg-white!
    Check for additional salt.

1. Sprinkle the form with 2 tbsp of fine grated parmesan. No add the mix to the form and sprinkle with rest of the Parmesan on top. Put in the pre-heated oven for 25-30min by 200 C or 400 F. I used top and bottom heat incl. farn. Certainly only farn 180 C or 360 F is the best.

1. Serve immediately with a big green salad incl. mustard dressing

4 Likes

I need to make this! I still have a bunch of ramps left from last harvest. Always looking for new ramp recipes. Thanks!