Rhys

Dirty and Rowdy
Liquid farm
Ceritas
Carlisle
A Tribute to Grace
Bedrock
William Selyem (Morning Dew)

Of course. Sometimes I feel like I am walking a fine line between contribution posts and commercial posts, but as always, if anyone objects or if the mods see fit, I am happy to have the post moved elsewhere.

I wrote the following, recently, in response to questions over on the CT forum.

"I create a Special Selection in addition to what has become known as the “regular” Black Cat. I select only some portions of some barrels for a blend of something I think creates a unique and special wine, or Special Selection. It is always made in addition to the “regular” – the integrity of the “regular” is never compromised by the creation of the Special Selection. Some years there are more magnums than others, twice I have made 15 etched 3-liter bottles of the Special, and once I made “Little Black,” a non-vintage blend of some portions of wine I did not put into any single vintage. Roughly, depending on vintage, I will produce 25-40 cases of the Special, and the balance of the wine is bottled as the “regular.”

I am happy to converse via email with anyone who wants more in-depth conversation. I can answer here, too, if there is sufficient interest. The Special Selection has never been part of the BerserkerDay offer - inventory levels and pricing just have not ever aligned the 2.

The first vintage of the Special was 2009 - my 10th Anniversary label. It was intended to be a one-shot deal. But with sufficient work, attention and cost, I have found I have been able to create and stand behind the higher end offering. Some years it comes together instantly (2010 and 2012), and in other years it is trial after trial before I get it “right” (2009, 2011…just now working on 2013 pre-trials).

When is the Alban release? For some reason I remember it being quite late last year.

Leon - I traded emails with Glenn because usually there is a Lorraine/Seymour/Vigonier release Nov/Dec. If I understood him correctly, he said they were using this vintage to broaden the list, and anything left over would be offered up in Jan.

Maybe I misunderstood, because that seems irrational given wait times on this list. I was however offered Lorraine and Pandora this year way off-cycle.

If you are reading Glenn, please don’t penalize… just makes Alban a bit difficult to plan for…

Aubert
Rivers Marie
Turley
Carlisle
Dirty & Rowdy
Myraid
Quivet
SQN
Kosta Browne
Schrader
Black Cat ( if I’m offered the SS)

I have significantly cut back on lists in the past year and will cut back even more this year. I just purchased Aubert and will probably pickup Ridge futures, Torrin and Shafer (if not then via auction). All remaining purchases will be backfilling Champy’s, Burgs and Bdx and the usual N.Rhones if the prices don’t go through the roof even more than last year.

Both those guys are good too… but you can’t buy all the wine! Have you tried any of the Jolie-Laide wines yet?

Great info, thanks!

I’ve never purchased your wines Merrill, but I will purchase your offering on BD. I’ve been interested for several years now but never pulled the trigger. Here is my commitment.

Buying:
Rhys
That’s it. :slight_smile:

Skipping:
RM Pinots (like the cab more i think)
Liquid farm (don’t drink enough chard to get 2 orders a year, but will buy in the fall)
Carlisle
Myriad Syrah (like the cab more)
Kosta Browne (just getting too expensive?)
Horsepower (actually gave someone else my allocation)
Quivet (both syrah & cab) - kinda on the fence on this one

As for EMH… didn’t buy the SS for 2012… really wish i did on pre-release price :frowning: but baby came out a month earlier so had 0 budget… It’s our wedding year too, so kinda regretting that… Did get some regular 2012s tho… love the wine! Will buy again this year but it’s in July - so not really “spring”
I have 09-12 so if BD offer is earlier than that, might get in on some!

Edited

Horsepower (today)
Liquid Farm
Littorai
Dirty & Rowdy
Rhys
Ceritas
Arnot-Roberts
Maybe a little Betz and VHR

The OP says Spring, not January. [snort.gif]

Merrill, that sounds lovely. Hopefully I will have a chance to buy and try. Thank you [cheers.gif]

Already bought some:

August West
Siduri (really a monthly mailer, and not tightly allocated, so it doesn’t get a lot of love on these “release” threads, but it should, great stuff, great value).

Lists I know are coming and I will buy:

Rivers Marie
Saxum
Turley
Carlisle
Bedrock
Myriad
Quivet
Sojourn

Lists I assume are coming and I will buy:

Liquid Farm
Williams Selyem
Torrin
Realm
Kosta Browne
Loring
Rafanelli

Going to Pass:

Horsepower (went through the whole order process and then deleted it when it was $100ish to ship 6 bottles…seriously?)

Clearly, I need to be discriminating about the number of bottles I buy from any of these wineries, but these are all the ones who are consistent performers (or like LF new favorites) that its hard not to buy something.

My plan is to definitely buy:

Horsepower
Rhys (largest single winery in my cellar but I always want more)
Liquid Farm
Marcassin
Schrader (whatever they offer me in the first-come-first-served pile on Jan 20)
Rivers-Marie
Myriad

I tried to wish list some Dirty and Rowdy too since I was not allocated any, we’ll see! Sounds like too much wine

Everyone sending mailers within the same 30 day period is becoming a real problem. The good news is, since I desperately need help with my buying addiction, it will force me to pass on some and buy less of others. Love 1st world problems. :wink:

Did the Torrin Release already go out?

I’ve been buying for years but screwed up and forgot to buy last fall. I’m hoping I didn’t get bumped off the list because of missing one release.