Source for Demi glace

Does anybody have a good source for one. (Tried the Dartagnan version and found it a little insipid)

if you didn’t like the d’artagnan version, you may be out of luck re other purchased versions. which isn’t too surprising.

suggestion: buy some brodo bone broth and reduce that to a demi consistency. works great. can add additional bouquet garni to up the aromatics, but likely not necessary. gelatin powder might also be helpful.

1 Like

Gelatin powder definitely helps with the consistency, though other elements necessary for flavor.

I’ve never found a good source for Demi glacé. It doesn’t take much effort / skill to make a Demi glacé at home, especially if you start with @ybarselah’s suggestion above.

I’ve often wondered about this lack of availability of good commercial products, and have used d’Artagnan in a time crunch. Whenever I find a prepared broth I like it seems pretty expensive, then I’m back to making from scratch.

If you have a pressure cooker home made is not very difficult. If you can’t find finely cut veal bones chicken and pork bones with plenty of blanched pork rind do very well for most purposes, add them to the pan with plenty of wine and aromatics, only just cover with water and cook for two hours. Pour off the bones through a colander then strain the liquid through a disposable cloth and reduce to the desired consistency. No need to brown the bones, the result will be quite dark enough. If you let it cool and set it can be vacuum packed and frozen, it will keep forever.

2 Likes