Some wines and dinner

Jerry had a birthday. He invited a few of us to his celebration, provided all the wines (except 1), and bought us all dinner! Can’t wait till his next birthday. Wonder where he is taking us! This celebration was a bit delayed—over 2 years, due to Covid.

Most of the wines were acquired on release by Jerry. We first opened w 96 Salon, on fire with elegance, depth, layers of flavor, a near perfect bottle. At dinner, we had 11 Lafon Montrachet, 11 PYCM Montrachet from magnum, and 11 PYCM Meursault Genevrieres. Lafon at first was blowsy and clumsy compared to the driving finesse of PYCM, and even was at first beaten by a fabulous Genevrieres. Later that night, Lafon woke up and finished the race behind the other Montrachet but ahead of Genevrieres. The PYCM is immortal, an absolutely stunning white burgundy at the apogee of what is possible. The flavors were like a July 4 fireworks show.

Reds were 85 Maison Leroy Chambertin, 78 La Tâche, 96 La Tâche, 96 Rousseau Chambertin, and at the end a dessert wine—67 Yquem. Leroy was pruney and loose as in “not well knit,” got a bit better a couple hours later, but never really hit a second gear. It wasn’t old or over the hill, just flabby and dull. The 78 LT was at peak, fabulous spice and endless length—crazy good. 96 LT drank well but too young, just entering a period of approachability but paled before the Rousseau, which was so layered and full of finesse and gorgeous fruit, dark fruit all perfectly ripe. One could see a similarity between the 2 LTs. I’m told the Yquem was a great bottle. I’m not a Sauternes fan—I always find a bitter apricot pit note that I don’t like.

The food was a great match for these wines. Razor clams, melon/prosciutto, uni toast, yellowtail and caviar appetizers, then courses like lobster thermidor, pheasant tagliatelle, rabbit porchetta with sunchokes, and lamb salsify w grilled porcini, many courses covered with layers of fresh white truffles. Dessert was strawberry rhubarb crumble. Service at Marino was fabulous, the owner chef joining us near the end and adding some hilarity to a great evening—even turning up the restaurant music, playing and rocking out to music that Jerry had recorded.

It was great fun to celebrate my good friend with several of his good friends, an amazing night of fun, food, and wine. He’s such a great guy. His cellar isn’t bad either.

17 Likes

Gee, I guess it’s not what you know but who you know. Happy Birthday Jerry! Great wines indeed. Food sounds lovely too.

Well done Alan.

:heart_eyes:

Happy Birthday Jerry! What a great way to celebrate, excellent selection of wine and food.

Fine fine fine!

Wow! Yet another person I should’ve been nicer to.

What a wonderful night. Happy Birthday Jerry.

1 Like

any notes or comments on that 96 La Tache?
and Happy Birthday Jerry!

1 Like

Darn I forgot to list the spectacular PYCM
Chevalier!

The 96 LT was lovely and WOTN on a couple of cards at our LT vertical last year. But it’s still drinking very young and needs quite a bit of air to shine. We decanted right before pouring and it could have used even a bit longer.

1 Like

Happy birthday Jerry.

1 Like

It was a birthday celebration three plus years in the making due to Covid, but finally I got everyone together for a festive night. 1996 Salon was young and vibrant, mouth watering, with lemon and probably the second best Champagne I’ve had after the 1988 Krug CdM. All the 2011 white burgundies were exceptional with each bottle showing its best at different times. The PYCM Genevrieres was ready to go immediately, opening with that big Meursault nose. Next up was the PYCM Chevalier, which took a long time to open up with its finesse and charm. The PYCM Montrachet showed its power and depth and only got better throughout the night. The Lafon Montrachet took a while but after a couple hours started to show with its weight, honey and fatness. Unfortunately the 1985 Leroy Chambertin was a bit past peak. The 1978 La Tache was a perfectly aged example of an aged DRC - dried rose petals, tea, dried cherries. The 1996s were powerhouses with both the Rousseau Chambertin and the La Tache displaying great depth and youth with the Rousseau having pure fruit while the LT showed the stems and asian spices. The '67 Yquem looked like cola but had the richness, orange peel, and an endless finish that makes it so great
Such a memorable night with friends and wonderful food from Sal at Marino in Hollywood.

6 Likes

Thanks Alan, quite the line up of unicorns! Good to see some notes on some 2011 whites and it looks like they are humming along nicely.
And of course a very happy birthday to Jerry.