Some nice pinots and Scholium Project finds its way to Reno

2008 Bergström Pinot Noir Bergström Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (3/15/2015)
Some smokiness and earthiness on the nose. Dark red fruit on the palate. Good finish. Elegant. I think it’s the first Bergstrom I’ve had that I’ve liked. This is showing well now and I’m sure it’s got at least a few years to go.

2011 Dominio de Tares Bierzo Baltos - Spain, Castilla y León, Bierzo (3/15/2015)
A little monolithic. Some oak, but not overwhelming. Mostly dark fruits. Nice balance. I think it could be a good food wine. I suspect it will be better in a year or two. It doesn’t seem like a long-term ager, though. Imported by Opici Wines.

2011 Burn Cottage Pinot Noir - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Central Otago (3/11/2015)
Great nose. Mushroom, forest floor. A streak of bright red fruit. Alas, the palate didn’t live up to the nose. Kind of flat. Balanced and light but not very interesting. Medium finish. This could age into something much nicer.

2012 Soléna Pinot Noir Domaine Danielle Laurent - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (3/11/2015)
This was quite nice and impressive for a Bordeaux dude. Balanced and subdued. Earth, flint and red fruit on the nose. The red fruit carries over to the palate. It’s nice on the attack and midpalate with a good finish. There’s some subtle spices, maybe clove. I think this is showing well now but seems like it could improve.

2012 Soléna Pinot Noir Hyland Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (3/11/2015)
Quite tart on the palate to the point of being out of balance. This may change with age and I might like it better in a few years. Mostly dark fruit on the palate. Some blue fruit on the nose. It seems like if this is going to show well it’s going to take a decade in the cellar. I can’t read it.

2013 Scholium Project Gemella Lost Slough Vineyards - USA, California, Central Valley, Clarksburg (3/11/2015)
Crisp wine. Nice acidity. An excellent food wine. Nice lime and sea salt on the nose and more citrus on the palate. Maybe just a touch of honey. Good finish. Very European.
I was surprised to find this in Reno. It’s at the West Street Wine Bar.

Great notes!

Reno keeps getting better!

We really enjoyed the 13 Gemella yesterday with albacore sandwiches. We like your note on this wine but now a year later there is a ton of melon easily discernible. That honey touch is still there, as well as the sea salt. Brilliant color and wonderful finish. For the Scholium aficionados this white comes in sub 14% EtOH and this seemed accurate, no real buzz with the big sandwiches!

Reportedly 100% Verdelho, hard to believe.

Not the 02 Slyphs or 10 Prince but maybe in the discussion for my bronze medal Abe white. That good.