Some Keller Rieslings victims of speculation

That’s a totally inappropriate, snarky comment, David.

I was just being honest. I’m glad you are in a situation where you can afford the wines at that level.

I can’t.

Huh. From your posts on this board I would have figured you spend a lot more than $700 a year on wine. Hell, I would have thought you spent that much a year in dirty & rowdy!

Well yeah, but not on one bottle!

I see. So when you say you can’t afford it, you mean you can’t afford after you’ve already allocated your money to all of the other luxury goods you want. Are you really worried that you are going to run out of wine? This isn’t exactly what I think of as not being able to afford something.

I think a $700 bottle is beyond my comfort level. I can have a case of delicious wine for far less.

In Seattle the GMax went for $1200 and there were several buyers at that price… I laughed and thought that was ridiculous, then someone text me and questioned why I didn’t buy it immediately, and they were serious…

Keller Rieslings are in a league of their own. Not only among German Riesling but among the finest white wines of the world
Why involve Louis Vuitton in this?
Instead you could name a lot of vignerons on the same quality and price-level as Keller
Coche-Dury…

Claus,

can you identify a Keller Riesling amongst 10 other Rieslings from top producers in a blind tasting?

As Alex will attest to I immediately called Keller in the tasting he mentioned above.

However that is not always the best test of a wine. I will conceder 75% of the G-Max that I have had were painfully too young and shut down.

I am not surprised and Coche Corton sells for $4-5000. However I bet you could sell 4 cases of the Coche for $5,000 and could never sell 4 cases of G-Max in Seattle for $1,200.

It is true! Robert nailed the Keller!

Since Claus stated Keller is in a league of its own it should not be a problem to identify his Kirchspiel it in a blind tasting of 10 bottles 2004 Riesling. I have experience with blind tasting and while it is possible to be successful sometimes it is the exception and not the rule. And that is true for even the best and most experienced palates. I had the pleasure to taste blind with leading wine critics, Sommeliers du Monde and so forth. Not Blind Tasting or objectivity is the problem but myth, image, price, ego etc.

Furthermore – in Germany a Riesling cup is organized every year. Experienced palates taste all top German Rieslings blind. As I said a Keller wine is often amongst the 10 best but I cannot remember that Keller was on top the last years. And btw: The statement the wine is too young is the common excuse when a result is not as expected.

Keller is the SQN of Germany. It’s a good thing to have a lightning rod wine like these to attract the big spenders, and leave all the other equally great (or better, for my tastes) wines to the rest of us mere mortals.

Vintage 2008 is easy
I am not good in blind tastings but Morstein is easy too Others will surely be able to pick others
I do not question the quality of other German top producers. They too are world class. I have several hundreds GG’s in the cellar
But Keller is still in a special league
Did you ever hear of other Rieslings being compared to Montrachet?
And why Louis Vuitton instead of a Vigneron???

Your post reminded me you still have some Keller for me. LOL

Unfortunately its the nature of the world. Lots of those around.

“When facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts.”

Jurgen, let it be. Its the way of the world…for now.

a mag of 14 kirchspiel just went for $315 at k&l auction. probably the least impressive kirchspiel i have tasted.
i was offered a 6 pack of abtserde 16 for $135 per but ended up buying some elsewhere for less. unfortunately that is looking pretty attractive now!