Some California Riesling TNs

(This is my first time posting TNs; I’m a relative amateur compared to most people on here, but I’ve been tasting some interesting CA Rieslings and wanted to share several reviews.).

Union Sacré is perhaps my favorite winery in California for its dedication to Alsatian-style wines from vineyards along the Central Coast, stretching from Lompoc to the Santa Lucia Highlands. I’d been curious for a while about the difference between the “reserve” level of Union Sacré’s wines that’s included in the wine club and the non-reserve wines that I’d seen around at various retailers. From what I gathered through tasting room visits, the best barrels were set aside for the reserve wines while the rest were made into the non-reserve ones. Would there be a noticeable difference if I tasted them blind?

A few months ago I set up a head-to-head blind test with two orange Rieslings from the 2020 vintage from the Rancho Sisquoc vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley of Central California. According to the tech sheets, both were fermented on skins for 30 days, adding the orange color.

The Union Sacré 2020 Fragrance Riesling ($42, wine club discount to $34) and the Union Sacré 2020 Dry Orange Riesling ($22 at KandL), both from the Rancho Sisquoc Vineyard.

(Placed on my left)
Wonderful nose. Classic Riesling, a bit of petrol into off-dry cream soda. On the tongue a lovely initial interplay of leather, intense lime zest, and the classic Riesling taste (don’t know how better to describe it). Fairly acidic, but in a good way. A hint of tropical fruit and a bit of allspice too. Also feels more complex than the other wine, with each sip riding a clear wave of flavor, as well as seemingly slightly less sweet-tasting than the other (though they’re both very dry). This one rated a solid “A-” (92).

(Placed on my right)
Faint smell of classic Riesling funkiness on the nose, and a little bit of honey. Light taste on the tongue, fairly acidic. Citrus fruit, like an orange or tangerine, dominates the flavors with a bit of washed stone coming through as well. Some hints of peach. Not as concentrated as one might hope and the finish is a bit abbreviated. Definitely taste a bit more honey and honeysuckle flavors on this one compared to the other. I would rate this wine a “B” (84) overall. Not bad, but felt like it’s lacking something.

Once the bottles were revealed, it was indeed the reserve-level Fragrance on my left that won out as superior. Definitely worth a bit more $$ for those really fun flavors.

I then decided to try Union Sacre’s non-orange reserve-level Riesling from the same vineyard, just to see the difference that the 30 days on lees had made (I also wanted to try the Rancho Sisquoc Winery’s own 2020 Riesling, but alas that vintage hasn’t been released yet). This tasting was not blind and took place a few weeks after the other.

Union Sacré 2020 “Fraulein” Riesling from Rancho Sisquoc ($38, wine club discount to $30).
Extremely light petrol on the nose and the initial taste on the tongue. Strong bitter lemon and lime flavors towards the end of the palate. A tiny bit of pepper as well. Rather “flinty” in terms of the mouthfeel. This has a very strong, almost harsh acidity that’s puckering and mouth-watering in equal measures. Finish is very long, with maybe a hint of toasted coconut? (the tasting notes say “white chocolate”; don’t really get that, but I could see something candied/earthy like that). Quite good. A-/B+ (90)

Finally, I tasted three Rieslings from Cole Ranch last month, on the other end of the state in Northern California just outside the Anderson Valley. I had never had any wine from Cole Ranch before, but I made a point to stop at Rootdown Cellars’ tasting room in Healdsburg to try their two takes on Riesling from there, “R1” and “R2.” Unfortunately, the pours were pretty small and both tasted somewhat muted and soft, so I wondered if the bottles had been opened for awhile [I would need to get fresh bottles to really review them]. Still, it was enough to get me to pick up another Riesling from Cole Ranch and compare it to the others.

Desire Lines 2020 Cole Ranch Riesling ($28 at KandL)
Vanilla-cream soda nose that over time developed more pear-lemon flavors. Full-bodied with a substantive mouthfeel. Mild but noticeable acidity. Notes of bitter lemon, key lime, stone, wet grass, and lingering alcohol. Rather abrupt finish. I can see some of that “creaminess” that I detected in the Rootdown Rieslings as well as a relative lack of perceived acidity (especially noticeable compared to the Union Sacre Rieslings). I’d rate it a B/B+ (87).

(If allowed, I might collect future reviews on this post too since I plan to keep tasting through more CA Rieslings in the future)

6 Likes

Always nice to read some CA Riesling reviews!

I had the Rootdown not long ago and thought it was great. Have you had Tatomer? Heard good things about Fess Parker, Scribe, Ruth Lewandowski and Smith-Madrone. Love the Riesling from Ser and the Wirz vineyard. Stirm is another great one. And one of the Bedrock releases, can’t remember which, is also great from the same vineyard (the other release is too sweet for me).

I myself made 2 Rieslings last year and this year I make 4! One is from a new vineyard planted in 1973 that I’m very excited about.

1 Like

I had the Scribe Riesling recently. Apologies I didn’t catch the vintage, but I think it’s a recent vintage. It was searingly bone-dry, to the point where I didn’t like it on its own, but it transformed into something delicious when tasted with food. Even my wife, who is very sensitive to sweetness, didn’t taste any. Like many of the Scribe wines I’ve had, it’s slightly unexpected, and it worked for this bottle with food.

1 Like

Add Maidenstoen to your CA Riesling wishlist. Just had a Wirz Vineyard last night.

2 Likes

Curious if you’ve tasted any Bedrock Wirz Vineyard bottling and how they compared. Would be interested.

Have not had the Bedrock. My tasting notes for the 2019 Maidenstoen Wirz Vineyard noted lemon/lime aromatics with a hint of petrol, lemon/lime flavors, and crisp texture. If that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Always curious to see warmer Riesling’s get posted, definitely changes the profile significantly compared to some of the more classic Riesling growing regions. I have a couple CA Riesling’s I’ve been holding onto with the thought of doing a round the world Riesling tour.

Good timing again here. Most recently tried a bottle of the Obie Riesling 2019 from @Adam_Frisch and found this one delightful. Still some notes that remind more of Chardonnay than Riesling, but no longer has the strong tropical notes on the nose for me (pineapple prominent last bottle over a year earlier).

Also had the 2019 Phillips Hill Anderson Valley Riesling again that has mellowed just enough now to be drinking very nicely. Believe this was still coming from @Casey_Hartlip valley foothills in 2019.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve visited both Tatomer and Stirm and had several Riesling bottles from each. I don’t know if it’s the Austrian style (as another post on this board has discussed) or just personal preference, but while the Tatomer Rieslings are clearly very well-made I’ve preferred Union Sacre’s instead. Maybe I’m not decanting correctly, not aging them enough, or not pairing them with the right food (I think this might be the key since I loved Austrian Rieslings with meals in Austria). I do strongly prefer Tatomer’s Pinot Noir though.

I’m aiming to do a blind tasting comparison of the 2021 Kick-On Ranch Rieslings from various providers in the future since Rieslings from that site have been top-notch in the past. Maybe I’ll also do a Wirz Vineyard comparison too with Stirm, Maidenstoen, and some others that WBs have recommended. Budget limitations come into play here, but all of these fit nicely in the $20-30 range.

The Napa/Sonoma Rieslings can be quite a bit pricier (Stony Hill is charging $80 for their 2019 Riesling), but they’re also much closer to where I live now so I might be able to sneak in a tasting sometime. I thought Trefethen’s was pretty good, especially for the $22 pricetag. Have not yet tried Smith-Madrone. Planning an Anderson Valley trip too in the future, so more to come.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try Union Sacré!

I just remembered that Cathy Corison also does a Wirz Riesling. Kinda odd for someone so entrenched in Napa, but she’s a lover of the grape. Not sure it’s been released yet.

Thanks Dan! Just bottled the 2021 for next years release and I think it’s the best one so far.

2 Likes

Anderson Valley has a good number of very nice Alsatian style dry rieslings. Navarro and Handley fit that mold well. Phillips Hill strikes me as somewhere between Alsace and Germany… but I really like it.

The gewurztraminer at Phillips Hill and Navarro are both very good examples of the grape, but I have been thrilled often with the Witching Stick version. Enjoy

You’ve been in hiding, Chris—your notes are terrific. Please do continue to post and I appreciate reading these about wines I have definitely not had the chance to try yet.

A bientot,

Mike

2 Likes

I think Anderson Valley is hard to beat. So far, I’ve loved anything I tried from Cole Ranch (Bedrock Erster usually coming out ahead). Apart from that, Toulouse’s Estate Riesling is another standout. Toulouse also has my favorite CA Gewürztraminer.

On the Central Coast, I’d probably hand it to Stirm. Tough call though.

Good mention there! Can’t believe I forgot Toulouse. Good stuff all around but I really like their whites.

2 Likes

Here’s another batch from 3 producers:

Had the opportunity to try a range of Tatomer Rieslings. This confirmed something that I had suspected: Tatomer wines really benefit from aging a bit. When I had tried some of the most-recent vintages in the past, they often tasted (to me) bitter and “tightly wound” with sharp minerality. Not bad, but not something I would seek out either. But with some age on them, they really open up and you get a wonderful range of flavors. From notes:

2019 Riesling, “Viticole” (Monterey)

Nose is mostly lemons, some interesting slate/graphite upon taste that stood out as being particularly unique for the area. Very solid all-around Riesling, albeit still seemingly young with some harshness in the aftertaste. B+/A-

2019 Riesling, Vandenberg

More lemons on the nose, lemon-lime on the taste. Quite good. B+

2014 Riesling, Vandenberg

Now this was interesting. Strong, inviting petrol aroma reminiscent of classic Riesling. Apparently there was some botrytis on the vine this year and you definitely get a bit of candied fruit in the taste. Although still acidic, there was an interesting bit of nuttiness here as well that added a nice contrast. Very unique and enjoyable. A-

2020 Riesling, Kick on Ranch

Bitter lemons on the taste, though with a soft touch of something like sweetness (but not sugar?) on the aftertaste. Not bad, but also not as enjoyable immediately (as I had expected from past tastes) and might benefit from time. B-

2016 Riesling, Kick on Ranch

Things get fun again with some age: this time there’s still lemon and a bit of lime, but there’s also a bit more acidity and even a bit of tartness on the initial taste. Petrol coming in on the nose. Smooth and creamy in texture, with some flavors reminiscent of crème brulee (though again, not via extra sugar). B+/A-

I also had a chance to briefly try an “4USL3S3” [“Auslese” that can’t be called that], which was young but definitely had potential, with notes of candied pear and leather. Will be fascinating to see this one develop.

Also tried a couple of Rieslings from Claiborne and Churchill. This is an interesting place in the Edna Valley that specializes in Alsace-style varietals (though they also had very solid Pinot and Chard).

2020 Claiborne and Churchill “Estate” Riesling (Edna Valley)

Maple syrup and lemon curds on the nose, though it’s a dry Riesling with no/very little residual sugar so these flavors are interesting. Taste has a bit of marshmallow, Jasmine tea, and grapefruit. Very unique flavors for a Riesling! Not much minerality. Unique, but a bit disjointed. B/B-

2019 Claiborne and Churchill Central Coast Riesling (somewhere in Monterey/SLH)

Lemon lime on the nose and initial taste. A bit more minerality than the Estate Riesling, though not too much. A little bit of biscuit? Decent acidity, more bitter lemon on the aftertaste. Light and drinkable. B

Finally, I ordered some Maidenstoen. I’m going to save a few of them for later, but I decided to try one right now:

2021 La Estancia Riesling (SLH)

Very mineral-focused, dry, and a bit of acid. Sharp citrus notes and light bitterness as a finish. Very little on the nose, also light on the taste. Rather acidic. It was good, though might have benefitted from more time. B

3 Likes

First time I’ve seen Jelly Belly wine stems!

Jelly Belly actually had (has?) a wine tasting at their factory for a pretty solid value–6 wines, 6 chocolate pairings, you keep the glass for $20.

There in fact was a Riesling among those tastings, so I will include that for posterity here (from notes):

Wooden Valley Winery Riesling

This is a Riesling from the Suisun Valley, just East of Napa. Not much in the way of a nose and there’s only a quick taste of Riesling-like flavor at the start before it goes away into a kind of generic white wine flavor. It’s Riesling, but it seems flat on the palate and very one-note. Sort of half-dry rather than fully dry or sweet. Almost no minerality at all. As much as I love to see an affordable local Riesling (~$12 at Safeway), it’s not something that I would seek out. C+

Here are a couple more out of the Anderson Valley. I also had some excellent late-harvest cluster-select (botrytis-affected) Rieslings from Navarro while visiting, but didn’t take detailed notes and want to keep the bottles to age.

2018 Handley Riesling (apparently from a vineyard near Boonville, further up the valley)

Wonderful notes of light petrol and smoky lemon on the nose. Taste is lemon peel, citrus fruit, and minerals. Feels a little “hot” and somewhat muddled on the late palate, but finishes clean. B+

2021 Toulouse Riesling (Estate)

Smells like green tea. Taste follows with loads of jasmine and sweet tea flavor plus some melon-ish notes (think cantaloupe). A little bit of herbal/skunky flavor in the middle. A light bit of stone at the end, otherwise not much aftertaste. The flavors are certainly interesting, not like any other Riesling that I’ve had before. B/B-

Not sure what to think about Anderson Valley Rieslings. Have had a couple from some other producers and they were all fine, but not particularly memorable. Seems like a good place for late harvests given the cold temperatures on the valley floor and I’ll look forward to seeing more of what Navarro and others have done with those.

1 Like

One more set:

2019 Smith-Madrone Riesling

I see why everyone recommends this! Slight petrol-ish scent on the nose. Some real weight on the mouthfeel–this sets it apart from most other CA Rieslings. Feels like you can draw out more flavor with every sip. Complex flavors of stone fruit (peach/green apple) mix with citrus along with a distinct flintiness. Medium-low acidity gives is a decent backbone. Finish is medium-long. Felt it was a bit unfocused and less structured than some of the very best Rieslings, but still great. Held up well through 3 days of drinking. Will seek out more of this for aging and really want to visit the winery. A-/A

2020 Maidenstoen Riesling Wirz Vineyard

Smells fruity. A burst of lemon citrus and a bit of minerals on the palate initially. Mid-palate is more green fruit and a bit “hot,” then there’s a somewhat abbreviated (but not unpleasant) finish. While none of the Maidenstoen wines (or wines from the Wirz vineyard for that matter) have blown me away, they’ve all been quite pleasant and great value for California Riesling (especially with recent price increases from other producers). B+/B

3 Likes

The late harvests are great. Had a 1988 and a couple from the late 90s a year or so ago that were fantastic. Your notes on the Toulouse strike me as quite odd, but I haven’t had that vintage. Need to get your hands on a bottle of Phillips hill. Just had a 2019 last week and it’s really fine.