Solid entry-level priced Rieslings

I got a few of the Steinmetz but I haven’t test driven one. Sounds like it’s going to be good.

Just finished a bottle of the 15 Loosen ‘Blue Slate’ Riesling Kabinett [Mosel] over the last couple of nights with chicken tikka, naan, and saag. I liked it - very crisp, bright, and light at 8% abv. It’s been a while since I’ve bought anything from this producer, maybe since the 2001 and 2002 vintages. I’m not sure the wines are are as good as I remember, but I guess this is also a lower level, estate wine. The back label suggests that the wine is medium sweet on a sliding scale of their design. Not sure I would agree with that, it didn’t seem all that sweet to me and the wife thought it was downright tart*. Still a nice midweek easy to drink effort, that pairs well with Asian food, and for acid fans - it’s got a fine linear dimension there. A nice B+.

• The SO went with a hard dry sparkling pear cider instead.

2016 selbach oster riesling kabinett & 2016 Dönnhoff Estate Riesling Nahe

I am not a expert but this one is a winner every time! ( even with my gf that does not like white wine much) I bought a buch of the 2015 and I just cannot keep my hands off them…

Wow, Berry! Thanks for your input! :astonished:

Jakob Schneider recently has been my QPR++ for riesling. PAME all day.

They are all good QPR.

Try Max Ferd. Richter’s monopole vineyard - Veldenzer Elisenberg. The Kabinett is in sub-$20 price range. The Spatlese is just a little more.

(How did this not get recommended yet?)

I agree with this. One of my go-tos is Thanisch’s Bernkasteler Badstube Kabinett ($20) but I buy quite widely at that price point.

If you can find the Donnhoff Estate Riesling [semi-sweet] or either of its dryer siblings [“Trocken” or “Tonschiefer”], for less than $20, then BACK UP THE TRUCK.

But down here, in Central NC, we’re supposed to be one of the top AFWE markets in the entire USA, yet we’ve got only maybe one & a half stores which are still trying to keep Donnhoff in stock.

In most of the markets in the USA, at $15 to $20, I’d be concentrating almost exclusively on Prosecco [dry] & Moscato d’Asti [sweet], and then experimenting with Spanish or Greek equivalents if they were available.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Prosecco & Moscato d’Asti are the Alpha & the Omega of the wine world.

The basic 2015 Zind-Humbrecht is worth checking out @$22. It’s a delicious and dry Riesling that checks in at 12% abv.

Love the Donnhoff estate. Bought two cases of the '15 and I’m down to 4 bottles. Leitz and Selbach Oster also great value. I never see the Merkelbach but I hear good things.

Generally speaking, the Estate tends to age very well.

You might consider hiding those last four bottle off in a dark corner of the cellar somewhere and then forgetting about them for five or ten years [if not longer].

Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Kabinett is sub $20 and delicious.

Is the OP interested in dry Riesling at all?
Then Keller Von der Fels, Schäfer Fröhlich Vulkangestein and Schönleber Mineral are all mandatory

I know, but I can’t help it as it has drank so well all along. Wish I’d bought four cases instead of two!

one more vote for Donnhoff, St Urbans Hof and Merkelbach

I’ve been drinking a 2015 Reuscher-Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett [Mosel] the last 3 nights and this vintage is terrific as well. This is AP Nr. 2 596 470 06 16 although I’m not sure what that really means, or how consumers would look specifically for that. I just bought it since I saw it was a Terry Theise selection and my grocery store doesn’t usually have many of their picks. But this 8.5% abv wine has terrific verve, almost an electric mouthfeel, and is delicious as an apertif or with an Indian curry. Screwtop too. Even the SO who doesn’t like German off-dry enjoyed a sip or two. I’d give this tremendous value an A-

There are so many good entry level Rieslings (called Gutsriesling) here in Germany, impossible to list - mostly from 7.50 to 10 €, rarely above,
most are delicious -
however I have no info about availability an the other side of the Atlantic.

Basic wines from Schloss Lieser (estate Kabinett) and Zilliken (called Butterfly).

From Alsace, try Trimbach.