Solid entry-level priced Rieslings

2007 Gerhard Hattenheimer Hassel Riesling
This is a great wine as well as their spatlese from 07. Winex blew them out for $10 a couple years ago. Opened one on xmas this year and went back to it 3 - 4 days later and what a wine, perfection in a bottle!
These guys have it for a little more, but it is worth it -

http://www.whwc.com/p/303271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+2

Hofer’s liter-sized Gruner is nice and a terrific value.

Tend to live in this range for Reislings myself. My Go to’s have all been mentioned

Dr. L About $9
St. Urban Hof Riesling about $14
Donhoff Kabinett about $20

I’d also add the Joh. Bapt. Schäfer Dorsheimer Goldloch Riesling Spätlese from Nahe which I loved and was a bout $15 (I think I had the 2004)

Kerpen also makes really nice Kabinetts for about $20. Sometimes you can also find a solid Dr. Thanisch Kabinett for $20. On a nice steal, you can get the Wegeler “Pure” (dry) Riesling for $20, usually about $25, I think.

Will these suffer from travel shock Tom? neener [drinkers.gif]

Kidding of course, thanks for the reccos!

Sean - thanks for the tip, I’ll have to see if I can sneak in there this week.

Lauer, Willi Schaefer, Stein, Immich, Adam, Donnfoff, Steinmetz, and Zillikin all have absolutely wonderful wines in the Kabinett range at the $19 to $22 price. To me, most of these aren’t so much QPR wines as they are wines that are good be any measure of the word. I am particularly partial to Adam, Lauer, and Willi Schaefer.

+3
Just had this last night, and it is beautiful- fucused with excellent acid and mineral finish.

Charlie - any thoughts on the Immich wines so far?

The C.A.I. ($19) was very nice. I’ll throw a note on CT if I can find them. I haven’t tried the big boys yet. I only got a few of each though.

Sucked down three cases of this I got from Costco on the cheap.

Yes, the Dr. L Blue Slate is a very nice every day drinker for around $13. Can’t keep enough of it around.

Hofer was one of Terry’s ‘little secrets’ for a while but I noticed that I received 2 different cuvees in 2008 and this year for the 2009 I actually preferred the Berger L with the pop top which was even a little cheaper.

Hofer is now a perennial sellout and even for Berger it’s hard to get enough supply (from a retail perspective) to last you through the winter until the next vintage is released.

Schwarzbock and Setzer are also L value GruVes in Terry’s portfolio and pretty much the same price point.

Opened an 09 Reuscher- Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett tonight and it is stunning. The best young Kabinett I’ve had in recent memory. The balance and precision is so perfect- lazer like. We picked this up for around $17 at Hi Times, and I wished I’d bought a case, or two.

So I’m giving these three a whirl, how’d I do wine-wise?

2008 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmel Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken $17

2008 Leitz ‘Rudesheimer Klosterlay’ Riesling Kabinett $15

2009 St. Urbans - Hof ‘Ockferner Bockstein’ Kabinett $14

Fun times at Peter C’s house! You did just fine.

What David said. All 3 are rock (no pun intended) solid bottles. [welldone.gif]

When is it your giving them a whirl? you might need some help [cheers.gif]

Cool - can’t wait to pop some corks over chow.

ZB - I don’t think these scored high enough to be of interest to you neener !

I don’t think this has been mentioned yet, and it’s not as widely available, but I’m loving Gunther Steinmetz in 2009. The Wintricher Geierslay Riesling Spatlese Feinherb is out-of-this-world good, though hovers a bit above $20. Their basic riesling trocken is around $15/L, and that rocks too. Other than that, I’d second the Dr. L, various S-O kabinetts/halbtrockens, Donnhoff QbA/kabinetts (also Tonschiefer) for sub-$20 drinking. From the Pfalz, I like Bassermann-Jordan’s Deidesheimer Paradiesgarten kabinett too, if you like your riesling with a bit of a red-fruit profile. I agree with others that Meulenhof consistently overdelivers for its price point.

cheers,
scott