Smoked meat/ Pastrami wine match?

We’ve hosted a couple of events at Katz’s in NYC. They were the oddest but most enjoyable events we’ve done. Our wines were served at both. We had fine results with bright, light wines of all colors. Dry Rosé, a Blanc de Blancs w/o malos, Chablis, Aligoté, Loire Cabernet Franc, Gamay & Gamay blended with Pinot Noir. Even some fuller-bodied reds with low tannins did well - Côtes du Rhône, mature Côte Rôtie, Barbera. Didn’t serve Riesling but would. Chenin was considered but excluded due to concern about competing complex flavors.

Midwest delis as well.

Nothing goes better with pastrami than Cel-Ray

Loire Cab Franc
Next choice Beaujo

I understand that Cel-Ray is the ultratraditional drink with pastrami but at the risk of being excommunicated from all New York Jews, I will say that celery soda is one of the worst ideas ever known to men. Go back to cream soda, as others have said, Dr. Brown for preference. But really beer and pastrami go great together.

You are already excommunicated for misspelling Dr. Brown’s.

My mom loved Cel-Ray and I sort of like it as well but since they don’t make a diet version and I need to avoid extraneous sugar I stick with Diet Cream.

I introduced Arnold and his mom to it and they admit that for a diet soda it’s really good.

1 Like

All of this talk of pastrami has me now craving a Katz’ Deli Pastrami sandwich. Unfortunately I’ll have to settle for a lower quality equivalent in the Bay Area.

Or you can order their pastrami online. Just don’t get anything other than pastrami, rye bread, pickles and/or mustard.

Countdown is on until piles & piles of hot meat are…uhm.
For the sake of experimentation and since I asked all of you, I’ll try a Riesling from Germany, a beer (all I have is Rochefort 8) and as it has now been mentioned more than once - a Gamay. Will check back in over the weekend.

I like Dr Brown’s cream soda, but cream soda with pastrami is a shonda - like putting M&Ms on corned beef (my palate). Cel-ray clears the palate of the spice and fat, like a super dry, slightly bitter ginger ale. YMMV

1 Like

I very much agree with Chris Cary (hey Chris, it’s been too long!) That Rocks Syrahnis a good option, or something from the Northern Rhone. I’m also partial to German wine so I also agree with Spatlese+ Riesling.

Yeah, my first thought after beer is Cru Bojo. Something happy that won’t clash.

+1. Failing that, hit the rose champagne

My first thought was new world Pinot (cola notes). Other than that thinking about cel-ray, the primary flavor profile I get is raisins…perhaps an amorone to play off of that profile

Homemade is even better.

Even more heretical - Dr Brown’s
black cherry soda is underrated for BBQ. Sure, it’s sickly sweet but that’s kinda the point

Cote Rotie

Or better yet, Schwartz’s in Montreal. It’s better than Katz’s and better than I can make!

+1 on toast with champagne before the meal and drink beer/soda with the meal. Some meals just weren’t made for wine and this is one of them, in my opinion.

TW

Agree with beer.

So opened a 13th Street 2017 Whitty Gamay and an '18 B. Ress Hattenheimer Kab. The kab was better than the gamay with the pastrami, although afterwards really enjoyed an extra glass of the gamay chilled as it was complex & earthy. 12.5% alc, right up my alley. Son & wife strongly preferred the Riesling, as it was so easy to enjoy. Perfect wine for anyone new to wine as there is no difficult edges. Can be drunk with almost anything.
That said - the trappist beer was the best match for the sandwiches…easily. Was nice to toast & drink a glass of wine with my younger son though. Looks like both of the boys may yet become somewhat interested in wine in the future.

I would have opted for beer…that being said, am big fan of Dr Brown’s Cel-Ray…my NYC roots showing…but have also had it a number of times in St Louis as well…See David’s comments re midwest…The son of an associate of mine owns a deli there.

1 Like