Smoked liver pate

Nueske’s smoked liver pate on a cracker and a bottle of zinfandel.

I like it.

What other wine might have worked?

I love a nice earthy Carignano or some aged Sagrantino with paté…

Must be only two people who like liver pate.

Or maybe people are afraid to post today for some odd reason.

Hard to pick a better match with liver pate than Zinfandel, IMHO. An aged Nebbiolo, maybe? Sauternes, of course, is a completely different style, but pretty much perfect as a pairing.

I got on the Sagrantino kick with that as Gianpaolo Tabarrini always serves his wine with paté made from wild birds shot on the estate…

Never heard of smoked liver, or a smoked pate. Sounds strange, in a not-so-good way, but perhaps I would be pleasantly surprised.

Meanwhile, the combination of richness and smoke suggests something with high acidity and a bit of residual sugar - Riesling Spätlese or Auslese, perhaps.

joe, did you know they recalled all of that stuff? The product is fine but some allergen was accidentally not listed on an updated label…

Dude. Two words. Chicken livers.

I don’t buy pre-made pate. I make chopped liver. Broiled chicken livers. Hard boiled eggs. Onions caramelized in schmaltz (chicken fat). Then ground and mixed amply with cracked black pepper and salt to taste. Chill and serve. Ungodly good. Will likely take a decade off my life.

Best wine match I have found is a slightly off-dry Alsatian Riesling.

I love chicken livers but i only saute them up and eat them whole. Yummy.

I might give that a try. It does sound good.

How long can something like that keep refrigerated?

A week in the fridge. The stuff freezes well too. I wish I could give you exact proportions. For Passover this year I made 1.5lb of liver with 6 eggs and 2 or 3 onions. And go heavy, heavy, HEAVY on the schmaltz. Coarse grind. Chill well. Lots of black pepper.

If you are just making for personal consumption and not for 35 people on 2 successive nights of passover seder, I would do just 0.5lb of liver. I can’t really guide on exact proportions. It is livery but quite sweet from the onions. The egg and schmaltz really round it out. I have been told this is a traditional Byelorussian recipe for chopped liver, but all I know is that this is just how mom and grandmom (Nana) made it.

Eric, do you ship?

Haha, nope. You have to come and visit.

I visited and didn’t enjoy this magical concoction!

Oh man! Say it aint so todd.

You can not go wrong with chicken livers.

I think he means Eric bogarted the goods and he didn’t get to try it…

this.

That’s true. You never gave me a chance to cook for you. I would love to. My favorite is cooking for 4-10 people versus the big old usual drunkfest. I don’t actually make chopper liver all that often. It will literally kill me.

What am I? Chopped liver?

(couldn’t resist)

Haha, too easy! Next time you get to Seattle please schedule time for a proper, low-key meal. You’ll get chopped liver. Proper roast chicken. And anything you want from the cellar.

be right there