Smoke taint 2020...

FWIW, I’ve seen a decent amount of RRV berry samples come in at between 1-2 - awaiting results of microferments in most cases. The Santa Lucia Highlands is another area where red grapes have been greatiy impacted. It appears most likely that Clarice Wine Company won’t be producing a 2020 vintage and Beau Marchais’ production will be cut in half. I am still awaiting microferment results to say that with complete certainty, but at this point it would be something akin to a miracle if the end result were different. I am planning on paying the growers for their cost of farming as I think the comment about the growers taking it in the shorts is pretty accurate and this was far out of their control.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company & Beau Marchais Winery

A guy I know who buys fruit from El Dorado says there’s ash on most vineyards up there.

Ash generally means nearby fire, which I think is the worst type of smoke.

-Al

Adam,

Do you purchase anything from SB County? Perhaps for your Beau Marchais label?

So bummed to see what’s happening north of us and hoping that things turn out better than expected . . .

Cheers.

So sorry Greg.

Yes indeed! Clos Pepe fruit. That’s the half of Beau Marchais that I am still getting (and 1/4 of production). Fruit looks good - about 23 brix on average right now (3 different sections). Haven’t seen it since this recent blast of heat but will be down on Friday and look at it.

Adam

Smoke is particularly bad today in Napa. The sky looks like a Blade Runner hellscape. I heard it’s from the August Complex fire up in Mendocino.

We are not picking fruit at Family Farm, Skyline, Alpine, Horseshoe or Centennial Mtn. Very painful but I guess it could be worse.

I hope other wineries are faring better. This is pretty devastating for everyone.

Devastating. So sorry.

Shit. That’s beyond awful. To some extent it’s less the money involved and more the loss of the opportunity to do the work that you want to do.

I’m hoping we are not being impacted in this way but WTF do I know about smoke taint, how it happens, how much and what type/length/intensity of exposure is required and so on? Zip.

I am so sorry to hear that, Kevin. Devastating . . .let me known if there’s anything we can do down here for you.

I’m very sorry to hear, Kevin. At least that line of redwoods kept the fire from moving closer to winery and vineyards in the SCM.

Jim, hope you end up with no reason to develop more expertise.

Tragic year and the traditional fire season is still ahead of us.

-Al

Thanks Al (and everyone else!). As bad as it is, it could have been a lot worse. Those Pescadero Creek redwoods saved Alpine and Horseshoe.

From what I could tell from the satellite fire maps, the fire just completely stalled there. Don’t know how many firefighters were on the ground, because they were mainly in more inhabited areas like Boulder Creek, Ben Lomand, Bonny Doon.

-Al

Shit, sorry to hear that Kevin. Just hope we are getting a decade’s worth of WTF over and done with in one year!

Paul

At this point I think the central valley is full of smoke from the August Complex (mainly Glenn county not Mendo), the fire near Fresno and all the previous fires. Today’s offshore winds blew it towards the coast.

Paul

Decade’s worth of wtf? Hopefully the next Century:
Covid
Fires
Riots
Crazy heat spikes
20% unemployment, stock market crash

All in 6 months…insane

FWIW I have some ash in my backyard. Fires are about 40 miles away from me. It depends which way the winds blow

I’m so sorry, Kevin. Hope you and your team are able to stay safe.