Skinner Auctions (Update)

Anyone else waiting an eternity for their wines? Been 3 months since the auction. They blame the shipper as they can’t directly ship out of Massachusetts. They also pointed me to their T & C about shipping out of Mass. Half assed answers if I actually get one.

I actually live in Massachusetts and it is a pain to pick them up (pre COVID)! They make you jump through so many hoops. I can only imagine what a hassle it is for them to ship.

Will not be participating in their auctions again.

I buy from Gordon’s in MA periodically and they have always shipped to my office in DC. But DC is a liberal jurisdiction for excepting out of state shipments. [cheers.gif]

So they had gotten better briefly.

Now they have a completely outside shipper, no longer affiliated, handling their shipping.

Was quoted today $123 to ship 1 magnum, uninsured, via ground from Mass to Illinois.

Over $200 for 2 day insured

The 3rd party shipper just informed me that it’s 120 miles r/t to pickup from Skinner

I ended up paying $75 to have two bottles of Haut Brion shipped ground from MA to Philly. The shipper was quite responsive though, and shipped right away. My first experience with Skinner.

I just searched my pending deliveries; thankfully none from there. I used to buy from their auctions; some hard to source wines at reasonable prices. I stopped when the told me they lost the ability to ship themselves. They assured me it wasn’t complicated arranging shipping myself, but I doubted that. Thanks for the confirmation, but I’m sorry for your troubles.

was quoted 20% commission to have them put the mag back into another auction. So 20% sellers and 25% buyers. Must be nice for them

Jordan,
If their “no ship” policy went into effect after your purchase, you should push them to waive the seller’s fee. It reinforces my decision to be done with them. It’s too bad I’ve lost them and K&L auctions, as they used to be great resources. I needed to cut down on buying anyhow…

Warren

Alternatively, you could see if they will let you send your own shipping label like HDH does (with you being both the “to” and “from” addressee so they have no shipping liability).

It was in effect. Barely bid on anything and didn’t even realize I won the mag til about a month later. Just couldn’t imagine the cost being that high. Lesson learned

they will not

A 6 liter they had been holding for me, that is now valued over $1k more than I paid for it, magically got damaged just as they were giving it to the 3rd party to ship

sounds like you all are getting skinned by Skinner.