Six bottles to learn port

Again, Brian is correct. While there are some awesome 40 year olds, the vast majority are not that big of a step up given the price difference from a 30 yr old. Regardless of producer the overall biggest jump in quality and price is between the 20 and 30 year olds.

That’s funny, because that is the polar opposite of what I’ve experienced. :smiley: Although I agree with the price part!

But just like Eric said, it’s very producer dependent. I guess there are some producers that value their 30 yo blends and if they make 40 yo blends, the difference between 30 and 40 might be relatively minor.

However, several times I’ve felt that the 10 yo feels just way too young and even “red-toned” in character, not entirely Tawny as I’d want it; the 20 yo and 30 yo blends feel already aged, complex and as “tawny” as I want my Tawnies, but the quality difference is surprisingly minor - there’s definitely a difference and a step up, but not large enough to justify the price gap that can be more than twice as big as the jump from 10 to 20 yo.

Then there are the 40 yo’s, which - like Eric said - might have some very, very old wines in the blend. They are not blends “made to taste like 40 yo” like the younger blends, which might not have any (or just very little) wines older than the indicated age, but instead blends that can contain some ridiculously old reserve wines that are way, way older than 40 yo. These are the the 40 yo Tawnies I say might be worth the tariff.

I’m with you. With 20 year olds offering the best bang for your buck and 40 year olds sitting at the top of their game, I find that 30 year olds occupy an awkward middle ground.

2 Likes

And if there is somebody I trust with matters related to Portuguese wines, winemaking and wine culture & history, it’s you! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

This is where people automatically say “it’s older therefore better.” That is not always the case. Many 40 yr tawnys come off as tired specifically as a result of old tawnys added to them. It’s a dusty and lack of sharp acidity profile that 20 and 30 yrs have. That doesn’t mean they aren’t complex and wonderful, they just tend to be different.

Sure I can name a list of small producers who’s 40 yr olds are amazing and better than their 30’s. But few on this forum will ever be able to get them, much less heard of them.

For the average and relatively easy to obtain from the major producers, most 40 yr tawnys aren’t worth the small qualitative differences and many of them come as being dusty and lacking that vibrant sharp acidity.

For those looking for the few unfiltered LBV’s out there, would those typically be notated as ‘unfiltered’ on email / websites, or should those just be purchased in person to be sure?

======

Muga makes two of their reservas - one denoted unfiltered on the front label, and another not - and purchasing those online in the US tends to get the former…but not consistently.

Many do list unfiltered on the label. Some don’t. A sorta easy way to tell if not sure is most unfiltered LBV’s use a driven cork instead of a t-cork.

Andy and I know which 40’s we prefer. flirtysmile

But unfortunately it’s true, they are hard to find in the States.

Final update (until I have some tasting notes):

I liked the suggestion to leverage restaurants for the 10/20/30 tawny comparisons so decided to focus on vintage ports.

I order the 1985 and 2016 of both Fonseca and Grahams. I also have a bottle of 2016 fladgate coming.

For anybody who took interest, Sokolin has a bunch of aged (1977, 1985, 90’s) options available. Grand Vin Wine merchants also has a good selection of 2016 options in both 750 and 375.

Chris,

I’d caution anyone from using Grand Vin. I ordered from them and never received my wine. They said it looks like it must have been lost or damaged by UPS and that I was out of luck. $500 loss.

I’ll be in Porto and have a couple of hours to taste port. Skipping tours, but here’s what I’m going to try and get to:

-Kopke
-Sandeman (they said it’s unlikely they will have space for a walk-in tasting, but if they do they will accomadate)
-Fonseca
-Quinto do Noval

I’m trying to stay within about a 10 minute walk of the bridge, is there any port house I should replace one of the above with? Also, any opinions on what I should taste at those houses? Generally speaking I want to try an older vintage if available, an older colheita if not, a 20 year tawny and a 30 or 40 year tawny.

Max,
A couple hours? You’ve got enough time for one stop near near the Dom Luis bridge. I’d recommend Kopke, taste some older things.

Or go to Bacchus Vini, next to the end of the bridge on Porto side. Ask for older tawnys to taste and try things you generally won’t see elsewhere. 2 hours = about 6 different old ports to try.

1 Like

Thanks Andy. I was hoping to try 3-4 at 2 different places in under 3 hours. I’d prefer to go for something that’s easily accessible - I enjoy port, but don’t drink a lot of it, so not looking for something difficult to find.

3 hrs is a little better. I’m assuming you’re doing a river cruise. Start at Kopke, then Bacchus as you head back to where cruise ship is docked. That way you’re back in Porto side and close to the ship in case you need to cut and run :slight_smile:

I should say, walking from Porto side to Kopke/Noval/sandeman from Porto side of bridge is about 15-20 minutes, depending on where you start at on Porto side. Plus back so take that into account.

Both of the mentioned are easily accessible, probably the easiest as there is no lodge tour.

2 Likes

Not a river cruise, but only have a day so might as well be…

Be glad to help, but 2-3 hrs is a massive difference than being there for a day. You’re gonna have to provide a bit more details of what actual time you have and/or where you need to be. Portugal isn’t like Napa where you can show up and speed taste. It’s a much slower way of life there and things generally don’t happen super quickly.

lots of good suggestions above. If this is about learning Port, do whatever you can to make sure you have a 40 yr tawny involved. High price point, but it is a different animal and really worth the try.

20 yr tawny are great qpr if you like port, but there are plenty of people who won’t like a 20 yr at all, and will love a 40 yr.

For vintage port try winebid. Someone on berserkers actually recommended the 1985 Fonseca at some point and I bought one on winebid for $70 +premium +tax +shipping and I was very happy with it. They have one listed at that price right now again. I would try that next to a more current Fonseca vintage port.

Agree with Andy. Start at Kopke and try some older Colheitas. Then go to Bacchus Vini and put yourself in Maria’s hands. She really knows her stuff and you’ll try some great things unavailable, for the most part, in the States. Bacchus Vini in on the Porto side, on the Riberia, right next to the bridge. If time is really short, you can get cheese and iberico ham for lunch there.

Chris, I got into port as the ‘85 vintage was hitting the market, when I got a friend a Christmas present of a bottle of 1970 Graham’s. He liked port but had never had a mature bottle. I gave it to him unwrapped and told him it was ready to drink NOW. He took the hint and we opened it on the spot. One sniff and we were both infatuated.

Back then, you could easily backfill from great vintages like 1983, 1977 and 1970 at reasonable prices. Later I bought some 1991, 1994 and 1997 bottles, my last vintage of newly released port. Fast forward, and I haven’t opened a bottle of port in years, and have given away a couple cases to a neighbor. I still have over 50 bottles including a fair amount in 375ml. If you want to send me a shipping label, I will send you a 375 of 1994 Fonseca, Graham’s and Taylor gratis. LMK.

1 Like