Short rib recipe ( older ) Looking for it

Their was someone who had posted w short rib recipe ( yrs ago ), could have been in the ole spectator board. I cant remember her name and lost the recipe. Thoughts/ help

1 Like

I usually brown on all sides in the pan and then roast in the oven at a low temp 275… for two to three hours so that the meat is falling off the bone… it is a fatty cut but delish. Use some stock, wine, or water and make sure it does not dry out.

1 Like

4 Likes

Apologies for the crude and reversed way of presenting this. I had this attached to an old email I sent to myself from the old Squires board.

Anyway, I think there’s a good chance this is what you’re looking for. I’ve made them several times over the years. A really good short rib recipe!

1 Like
2 Likes

Thats it Pete

Thanks

Yep-I have that too and have used it numerous times. You should see mine-splatter spots all over it, about 30 different notes scribbled… :rofl:

1 Like

It’s a great recipe, Dan. I think Robert Fleming originally posted it way back when.

I haven’t made it in awhile. It’s on tap for Christmas dinner. Maybe Mama’s Pecan Pie for dessert!

4 Likes

I have one of those scheduled for thanksgiving

I printed this in 2006!

3 Likes

D_Zurcher— I remember modifications I did too.

Cheers

1 Like

Funny, my wife and I were just talking about making short ribs. For those that have done this particular recipe, what modifications did you like? How close to “barbecue sauce” is this? It’s a significant departure from the typical prep involving spuds, carrots, herbs, garlic, etc. and am curious.

Yup, this is the one I do, it’s flawless…

@Charlie_Carnes has a fantastic one as well, including mirapoix

1 Like

Its not anything like bbq sauce actually-just a significantly reduced wine/beef sauce. I add herbs and spices for complexity. I strain out all the solids, and finish it with some butter at the end. Quite rich and decadent.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention! My recipe is actually from the Senate in Cincinnati. Those guys do miracles with cased meat. But they have a fantastic short rib recipe. The key for me is to make demiglaze the night before. And house Flannery short ribs, both styles are fantastic.

I highly recommend the cookbook from the senate, talk about gourmet hotdogs and brats!

Mods on recipe, I used a mirepoix and my own sugo sauce

Doc B

3 Likes

Bumping this thread as we’re likely making some short ribs this weekend and while we’ve cooked similar recipes in the past, would like to try this one out based on the board’s feedback. Presumably works with bone-in ribs if the cooking time is adjusted.

THAT SAID, I often find bone-in ribs make the sauce a bit messier/fattier than I’d like, presumably due to the tendons and excess fat surrounding the bone. Is it really just a question of cooling and straining the sauce like the recipe says, even if not making a day ahead of time? Admittedly I have tried to clean it a bit in the past, maybe haven’t made the proper effort.

Also, any suggested wine pairings??