Sherry-Lehmann Master Thread (NY Times Article, Lawsuit, Retail, etc)

You live close enough that you can walk into the store and you are wasting your time with emails and posting here? Go into the store, and if you don’t get satisfaction then make a scene .

2 Likes

Futures were slow but their in-stock delivery has always been timely for me - including their shipments to the freight ferries for Fire Island. Never an issue.

If futures have been persistently/consistently ‘slow’ for 4-5 years that suggests that the money being taken in is being used to fund operating deficits, rather than paying for inventory that was ordered. And unfortunately for the merchant, futures are mostly sold on wines expected to go up in price, so its a particularly high cost ‘loan’ if the merchant intends to actually honor the deal (although the stories of refund requests or alternative substitutions suggest they are trying to wriggle out).

This is the same pattern of behavior that people experienced with Premier Cru well before their final blowup. I can’t suppose a high rent store, perhaps reliant on walk in traffic to wealthy clients in an abandoned NYC, was able to pivot to the new world of wine sales. Poke around their website…it’s pathetic for a store which in theory had a paper catalog biz for a long time and should know something about how to sell like that.

lol what.

2 Likes

Hard to believe any wine store in NY, let alone Sherry, has cash flow problems today.

Is it though? Many wines on futures have actually declined in value.

I can’t hear anything over the din of construction and traffic!!

2 Likes

I watch them loading up the delivery trucks daily, especially to the Hamptons!

Oh maybe the problem is they can only deliver their futures orders to customers in the Hamptons.

This. Minus the making of a scene part

Maybe not abandoned, but…

7 on Your Side Investigates analyzed data from the U.S. Postal Service to see how many people have moved and changed their address outside of the city limits.
The data shows 320,000 people left New York City in 2020, a 237% increase from the year before.

lol what.

I believe that’s about half the amount of people that have recently “moved” to their second home in Connecticut for lower taxes while maintaining a 3 bedroom “pied a terre” in the city.

To be slightly more serious, that doesn’t reflect the number of people who have also moved to NYC or its massive size. Over the past 10 years New York has still grown. But, you know, “abandoned”. LOL.

Exactly. That was based on mail forwarding requests during the height of the pandemic.

The most intriguing evidence, I thought, was cell phone data usage, which was way down for a while. I haven’t seen that data cited since 2020, though.

I also wondered what proportion of the increase in votes cast in the Hudson Valley in the 2020 election was “citiots” like myself who temporarily fled upstate and reregistered.

2 Likes

Not to trade in stereotypes… but my image of S-L’s core clientele was Upper East Side Wall Street and business types born no later than 1945 who placed their annual orders for six cases of Chateaux XYZ from the Medoc and eight of “Les Charmes” Macon-Lugny.

When I moved to NY in the 90s, I went in to the old store. They had only three or four Northern Rhones – all Jaboulet and Guigal – and when I asked about Germans, the salesman wasn’t sure. He flipped through a binder but couldn’t find a tab for Germany. Eventually he located a few behind the “Rhine Wine” tab.

More recently, however, the selection had really branched out, with a decent array of Italians and Australian and South American wines, I remember.

Yes. Multiple friends and coworkers “moved” out to the country without actually moving at all. They’re spending more time in Connecticut/Upstate/Long Island (for obvious reasons), but that’s because they can - once people are back to offices mostly full time, they’ll be back in their apartments mostly full time.
I do know plenty of people who’re registered to vote upstate around places like Woodstock now, which leads to a fun split between people who own pickup trucks with gunracks and people who paid 70K to restore a beat-up pick up truck with brand new parts so that it looks the part of a beat up pick up truck.

1 Like

If they attempted to change their tax residency, they will also have fun when they get audited…

Don’t worry, they know the rules about the necessary amount of time needed to be spent where :slight_smile: New York State is very careful about these sorts of things - I know of people who were brought down by the state getting their EZ Pass information as to how often they were in the city, lol.

1 Like

Yes, if I recall, NY has some very challenging case law such that, absent selling your home in NY and moving all of your belongings to another state, the tax authority will claim (and have a good shot of winning the argument) that you remain domiciled in NY.