Sherry-Lehmann 2016 Bordeaux Futures

Nevertheless, I want to apologize if I’ve crossed you in the past. It won’t happen again.

2 Likes

You seem to have a criminal mind.

As far as I am concerned, good riddance. A thoroughly nasty human being.

That’s exactly what I recalled, but didn’t trust my distant memory enough to post that. Thanks. This is reassuring.

Although it would take a brave soul to cover $800K of wine and hope to collect from the store that didn’t deliver the same wines.

2 Likes

Mens rea!

1 Like

I only interacted with him on The Greatest WB Thread of All Time, where I thought his bankruptcy insights were helpful. I also liked his avatar.

1 Like

Indeed. Obviously, one’s theoretical right to a judgment in a certain amount and the practical realities of obtaining and then collecting that judgment are two entirely different things.

1 Like

You know how else was telling folks to get out on Premier Cru and has two thumbs?

This guy.

3 Likes

John,
I am an old San Franciscaner…we still eat meat.

With bothPremier Cru and SL, it amazes me how people are willing to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on the chance they might save 50K or whatever…are these people completely out of the loop??

Sherry-Lehman was never about saving money.

Good point!

Also, what inspires people to send off a boatload of money for a pile of wine?

For me the fun is choosing carefully and building slowly. Although one of my favorite stories is about Dr Ben Ichinose, a legendary collector. Sometime around 1970 he wanders into to Esquins and starts ordering wine, mostly famous classified growths.After a while the clerk says, wow you are up to 300 bottles…!! No, says Ben, those are
cases. He realized the price of wine was going to skyrocket.
A friend and his contractor father helped dug his cellar, divided into three temperature zones

3 Likes

Because they have money, and they collect wine.

The reason Domaine is in business is because we deal with clients who 1) have way too much wine and 2) don’t know when to stop buying. Incredible place to work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good story!

Some really interesting detail in this article.

5 Likes

Paying for a puff piece while your business is floundering is “Grifter 101”:

So is cancelling an interview right before it is to take place:

Gilmer and Green agreed to discuss the firm’s issues with Wine Spectator, but the interview was canceled shortly before it was scheduled to take place. The pair’s press representative said Gilmer and Green were too busy during the holidays’ sales rush.

They must be really struggling if these guys had to work the floor during the rush.

1 Like

interesting you point that out, since the same article said Shyda was hard to find most of the time.

That article you linked is from June of 2021 :slight_smile:

Reading his Leaders interview and the WS article is like reading about two alternate realities.

Some may find this distasteful, but Gilmer looks very rough in his Leaders profile photo. Did he take it after a four hour midday jaunt at Le Bilboquet or have his indulgences widened?

1 Like

Feel bad for the named individuals who lost out on the ‘futures’ plan with SL. Interesting to see how bad business decisions leads to the demise of a once iconic store.

Before it was sold, Sam’s in Chicago was having issues with futures, which was shocking, since they had a very long history of successfully running campaigns. I don’t recall what the net-net was, but I know that Brian was trying to do all he could to get the orders filled prior to the sale to Binny’s.

They were very busy selling Champagne they didn’t have in stock.