SF/Peninsula Offline March 20 - VENUE UPDATE Donato Enoteca in RWC

1994 Ho Bryan, then. It hath a good and most particular taste.

Quit horsing around and bring something good.

I’ll bring '98 CdPape Reserve, Clos du Caillou. Anything else from my cellar of the level you all are bringing is much too young.

I have a cali chard I’d like to try/bring

^^^ That better be then most awesome Cali chard that’s been poured since the dawn of mankind.

2002 Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Elisabeth rose champers is what I’m leaning towards bringing.

What Gene said. Who knew that Caymus made Chardonnay?

Lean away, lean away… flirtysmile

Thoughts on 2011 Grand cru?

Red or white? I hear the reds are similar to '04 in that the green meanies can rear their ugly heads. I have no idea about whites.

2011 GC reds are fine, worries about green meanies are over-exaggerated IMO. I’d rather have a red from 11 than a white.

Fear of 2011 reds is hysteria spread by Bill Nanson and Kevin Shin. Fear of 2011 whites is hysteria spread by Alan.

I have a Moose.

We won’t look a gift Moose in the mouth.

But it might not have teeth,yet.

Who’s bringing the squirrel?

Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get me.

Craig,
Are you saying that there is no green in the 11s? I was clear that they were not as terribly as the 04s. Also, there are a lot of people who seemed to agree with us as the time goes on. My main point was and is that there is absolutely no reason to buy the 11s due to lacking concentration and energy. Those who listened definitely benefited as there are still plenty of the 11s around and the retailers have been discounting them.

If you look at the wine lists in Beaune you will find a lot of the top 11s like Rousseau Chambertin and Roumier BM but not the other vintages. Do you agree with John Gilman that there is no green in the 04s?

So now you’re recommending the 11s?

There is clearly a GM problem in 04. Most people detect it and a huge number of wines suffer from it. There doesn’t seem to be any clear problem like that in 11. It’s just a weaker/lighter vintage than other recent ones.

Doesn’t greenies worsen over time?
If so, then, maybe, I should bring it?

Kevin join us!

I will never recommend the 11s. John Gilman still doesn’t see any issues with the 04s. The people who actually know and detect the 04 flaws are minorities. There is a problem with the 11s for certain but not as bad as the 04s. It is starting to show more, please check FB Burgundy Geeks and Burgundy. This certainly is not a battle that I want to fight as I am making no friends. However, I am reporting as I see them and some who are open minded enough to listen have been benefiting.