SF Bay Area/Peninsula Sept 23 Terún

There’s also a parking lot behind VVW.

So what’s everyone bringing?

Yes, though I stay out of that one because the spaces are so small.

Cash, stems, a wife, a baby, 4 cult Italian classics and 1 interesting Barolo Mag.

I have the 1982 Produttori Paje standing up

So then where do you park your Lambo?

Bringing: a 1995 Italian overrated overpriced too-new-world-style (as with far too many Tuscan wines) merlot (but not as overblown and overrated as e.g. Messorio merlot which might as well be the bad kind of Barossa Shiraz), and a 2004 Barolo (from a producer about which I know nothing) that was really, really pretty the one time I tried it so I bought this one bottle.

That wine ended up being pretty good. It opened up nicely after a while. Another fantastic dinner and tasting with our crew. Loved all the whites and bubbles. The '88 Soldera’s were on a level all their own. Stunning wines. The other favorites were all Neb’s including the Harrington.

Sean

As Sean said another fantastic dinner! Wish I had more time to catch up with everyone. Wines were incredible and glad that we get to do this every month. The staff and management at Terun seemed to handle our crowd very well, and the free corkage is very generous on their part. They clearly don’t need the business and it was a nice gesture. The margherita pizza is superb.

Someone post a pic of the wines

The meal was almost perfect except Dan dropped the ball by not inviting Gianfranco Soldera or Bruno Giacosa.

My WOTN was the Pietra Marina 2009 (white wine, Carricante).

I got to taste the wines I would most want to taste on an Italy non-Giacosa bucket list. Thank you Chris. From last night’s perfectly ready but young 1990 Costa Russi, I infer that my Sori San Lorenzos need time. Like, long after I’m dead.

Second place, first place for reds, was the 88 Institieti. Thank you Chris. Once in a lifetime side by side with the same-vintage Case Basse. This duo will probably be the highlight of my life Italy-red-wine-wise.

I got to try an American Helen Turley merlot that was in my wheelhouse two decades ago, drank a lot of it back then, eh. But now it’s ready, very high class Bordeaux, a complete experience. Thank you Dan.

I brought a now-it’s-$375 (only available at RWC) (didn’t pay that thank Good) Tuscan merlot that I don’t need or want to drink again. Feh. And a 2004 Barolo that started out very pretty, as expected, and turned into oak soup.

Israeli wine, my first, Beaujolais Nouveau in the color and on the nose, yet serious and complex on the palate. Totally different terroir from Lebanese wines like Musar or M.

I’m getting worse and worse at identifying TCA and Brett up front. Too many mini-carrots.

Right now I’m drinking Carol Shelton Wild Thing 2004. It would be in the upper middle of last night’s wines. She is a great winemaker.

newhere

Just realized I didn’t order us any salads. I submit my resignation in shame as cruise director.

No wonder why I’m still hungry