Seeking Excessible Barolo

There are 10 listings of 2014 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo on the free version of Wine Searcher in the US under $200 right now. Sure it’s not cheap but I balk at describing that price point as “ostentatious excess”, especially given the wine. Same for G. Conterno, there are ~25 listings of the Francia under $200. I feel like you’re effectively trying to ask “What’s the next Monfortino?” In response I’m with David on that one.

Yes. I’m collecting a 2011 red label in roughly a week.

93 points, Adrian So of Chicago.

It’s simply reflective of an undesirable vintage. So was 2009 and it’s now selling for more than anyone would have thought.

I disagree that 14 was undesirable or comparable to 09. One was a hot vintage while the other was a cool and classic one. 12 was overlooked due to 13 hype and there are still numerous wines available from that vintage due to excessible 13 cheerleading by critics. Further the Francia’s available on WS at the price point I mentioned are 03, 06, 09, 11, and 12. You might scoff at 03’s but Roberto made Monfortino that year and apparently it is very good. 06 is a highly rated classic vintage.

Every vintage has good and even great wines despite people like you proclaiming they’re undesirable. And if you’re going to vintage chase you should have mentioned that in your OP. Finally I feel your complaint is more about excessible markups by people in the retail chain. Regardless, my point stands. Monfortino starts at roughly $1k on winesearcher. B. Mascarello and Conterno Francia can both be found for ~$200. That’s quite a difference.

There was no Monfortino made in 2003 but it was made in 2002 which by any standard was a miserable vintage for Barolo. In regard to 2014, the issue appears to be one of dilution rather than heat or coolness. I agree that in most vintages, 2002 aside, that the better producers often make very good, but rarely great wines. No doubt when comparing the disparity of price of the wines in Italy and the US, it’s the distribution chain that is responsible for the significant increases in prices. I’m sure within a couple of years what is left of 2014 Bartolo will be selling for $350+.

Bruno Giacosa is dead at retail.

I stopped paying attention when the decision was made not to produce Barolo with the 2010 vintage. I would assume with Dante’s return that the wines are back up to standard.

Yep, my mistake. I was thinking 2002.

Yes, I understand that. But are you genuinely asserting that the rains in July were a uniform drenching across every cru vineyard? Do you honestly believe that every 2014 Barolo is dilute? We don’t drink vintages, we drink wines. And each is different. Sadly that fact appears to be lost on vintage and point chasers. I for one am happy for this though as I’ve been able to snag a couple of the 2014 Bartolo Barolos over here in the US while on vacation. I didn’t even get an offer from my usual source in Piemonte as his allocation was so low, yet over here retailers are sitting on unsold stock equal to or greater than the entire allocation of my guy.

In pretty much every phase

Both G. Conterno and Giacosa are making Riserva Barolo in 2014 (Monfortino and the Riserva Falletto Vigna Le Rocche). I guess Roberto and Bruna are partial to dilute riservas. [stirthepothal.gif]

And I just ordered a 6 pack. If everyone could stop buying Giacosa besides me that would be swell. flirtysmile

[dance-clap.gif]

“This just in - Bruno Giacosa is still valiantly holding on, in his struggle to remain dead.”