Seeking advice on the "last frontier" - Barolo and Barbaresco

Tom - If you get some time in Houston soon, shoot me an email and I’ll open a few of mine with you. I’m a big fan of Vajra (about to open a bottle of their Riesling right now coincidentally) among those mentioned. Another producer I enjoy on the more elegant side is Virna Borgogno.

Thank you David- would definitely take you up on that. First half of the year likely staying put, but I will be in Houston for at least 2-3 trips this fall. Will reach out so we can put something together.

Well, that is a bit tough to answer but when I taste through Roagna’s line-up I am struck by the elegance, finesse, and superb tannin management that give the wines the lightness of Burgundy. A bit of stem inclusion adds to the impression.

I don’t know what Meo wines are currently like, the most recent exposure seems to be the 2002 Boudots, which, while comparable to the Roagna wines of that same period was perhaps a bit heavier and in any even less fine than what Roagna has been more recently producing.

Tom, how has 2019 treated you? Any conclusions or discoveries?

I have enjoyed my forays into Italian wines immensely, but 2019 has been a year of significant personal change for me- my mid-life crisis perhaps, though I would perhaps call it growing up and thinking about the latter half of my life versus a crisis.

Wine has been a big part of that thought process since I am now 46 and the wines I tend to buy will reward 20+ years of age. And since I am not a daily- or even regular- wine drinker, I have given a lot of thought to the kinds of events I like to attend where I would bring wine.

That has led me to today where I have been trimming the cellar and generally upgrading the quality of my stock- with a heavy focus on champagne, German Riesling and Magdelaine/Figeac with a few other Bordeaux and CA Cabs thrown into the mix. Burgundy is out purely because the Domaines I love and know best (DRC, Roumier, Ramonet, Niellon, Angerville) are both financially and quantitatively out of reach (a vinous take on the classic joke that opens Annie Hall- “The wines are so expensive, and I get so few bottles.”) And Italy is largely out because the occasions when I would serve them are few and far between.

The best part is now I am spending a lot less on wine, and a lot less time trying to accumulate it. I basically woke up and realized that I could probably continue exploring and find great wines all over the world I have never tried. But now I prefer to put 21 years of tasting experience and a little financial restraint to good use and focus all my attention on what I know for sure I will want to drink in the tasting settings I most prefer.

1 Like

Not very surprising…The LPT does tend to go through phases and usually takes 10(ish) years to start consistently showing well. I am finding the '04 and '07 are drinking very well now (with high hopes for the '06 to start showing well sometime in the next 5 years as well.