Second Best Bordeaux Sweet Wine

1. Climens
  2. Suduiraut
  3. Rieussec

(Generally speaking for me, based on least to most overtly hit by noble rot.)

Guiraud has been killing it since at least 01, so they get #5.

For me it is de Fargues . The 1945 is a legend .
Climens is too floral for my taste , it is a great wine but not my style .
Rieussec and Suduiraut are powerful wines , great bargains and excellent . They do not age as well as de Fargues .
Coutet is also great and ages well . The 1947 is mindblowing .
I don’t think Guiraud is nearly as good .
I also like Gilette , Rayne Vigneau and Doisy Daene a lot .
And my nr 10 would be Nairac .

+1

Love the balance in Climens between the sugar, the richness and the crisp acidity. Many Sauternes are often too flabby for me, but not Climens.

Yquem.

How does Rieussec age over 30 years? I have read that it can get a bit darker in color faster than others (per The Internet), and that has made me wonder how it ages over the very long term.

Raymond Lafon

Gaaa! This thread is making my mouth water! I may have to open my 07 Rieussec now to quench my thirst when I get home!

Climens is running away with the thing, I feel Rieussec should be added to the poll to balance things out.

This.

Third place Fargues in 2001 only

Fourth place old Sauternes. Had a good 1953 and great 1955 Gilette Creme de Tete in July.

Fifth place Climens and only in great vintages

I don’t agree that Yquem only stands apart with age. I think it stands apart on release and thereafter (except in hot vintages where age is needed for the sugar to calm down). Extraordinary harmony of acid and sugar and it just tastes better.

I like Rieussec and Coutet. It has been an incredible era for the sweet wines there, and outside of a estate/vintage combinations, prices remain pretty fair, esp considering the work involved.

I’ve never been patient enough with a Klein Constantia Vin de Constance to age it out to where I’m told it’s special. I’ve had about 3 bottles. They’ve been good, but nowhere close to the best Sauternes.

Huet’s Cuvee Constance is another matter. In the good years, one of the mesmerizing sweet wines that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the best Sauternes and Krachers.

I love Rieussec at 20+ years. There are many excellent vintages that are quite affordable (check out the 1975!).

I’ve not been enjoying circa 10 year old Rieussec recently as it was a bit boring. I’m sure it will be better in around 5-10 years or more. It’s not going to fall over in 20 years. Maybe 30 years?

I greatly enjoyed a recent vintage (sorry I forget which one.) I wonder if (for my taste) it will, or moreover, needs to age. YMMV.

Don’t mean this to be trolling because I love a good Sauternes: IME if you drink most Cuvee Constance, Foreau Goutte D’Or, or 1er Trie Huets or Foreaus side-by-side with Sauternes//Barsac, which I have done a number of times, the latter typically come off as (relatively speaking) flabby, alcoholic, thin in the mid-palate, and short. So not shoulder to shoulder. Looking down from a pedestal. The really great Sauternes will be shoulder to shoulder.