Second Best Bordeaux Sweet Wine

Doisy-Daëne Extravagant

Bingo. For me, Rieussec in the first five years then usually Suduiraut or Climens after age 10.

+1

Mouton

[wink.gif]

Actually I am also a fan of Guiraud, and have a 90 R-Lafon I’m saving until the impulse finally wins.

Well, I can only vote for what I know. Of the options listed, I have meaningful experience only with Guiraud. [/disclaimer]

My vote goes to Coutet.

I like Guiraud. I prefer bigger botyris bomb types and Guiraud tends to bigger bodied, and spicier, at least to me. I tend not to like ones from Barsac.

i would have to vote for Rieussec as well

Rieussec is my go to Sauternes.

I’d go even further. Yquem and some of the others can be sort of dull and ungiving when too young (for my taste, at least). There are producers that show great on release (and also age well), while others require moderate or long-term aging. I remember ranking the '90 a respectable last in a couple tastings about ten years out. Like 90 points from me then, 96 points later.

While I’ve got you (and this is my party…) what do you folk think of Vin de Constance?

I’m here! Work distracted me during business hours. But I was going to see this eventually…

I think this is true. Chateau de Fargues is the closest you can get to Yquem, and it gets awfully close, but it has gotten very expensive in the recent vintages (after 2009/2010/2011).

I think this is the most accurate. After Fargues, my next most consistent is Rieussec, but the '01 Suduiraut is amazing. Climens has never impressed me as much as it does others, but some vintages (1988) are spectacular. Coutet is my value choice.

Interesting! I’ve always thought that Rieussec very young is among the most disjointed and oaky Sauternes, but that after 10-15 years it integrates just beautifully.

And sometimes it’s the first best.

I’m organizing a 2003 Sauternes tasting for my wine group. Picked 2003 as it seemed to be a good intersection of bottle age, good vintage, availability, and price. Will be trying d’Yquem, Climens, Rieussec, Lafaurie-Peyraguey, and La Tour Blanche. Looking forward to it. Have never had d’Yquem or Climens. I’ve only been drinking Sauternes for about a year now but really enjoy Guiraud and La Tour Blanche.

When the 2003’s were released, they were pretty well embraced by the professional critics, but some enthusiasts thought them to be seriously lacking acid. I’ve had many bottles of both Rieussec and Suduiraut and have found them to be nothing short of delicious. No, they are not up to the standard of the 2001’s, but a good drink nevertheless .

Ashish - I just love the mouthfeel and opulence of young Rieussec. I opened a '14 out of .375 recently and thought it was fantastic. They’re my guilty pleasure wines when young but then I don’t touch them until after age 10. The 5-10 year period is as you described - disjointed and oaky.

I think that D’Yquem, Climens, [fill in the blank sweet Bordeaux] have a tough time next to Cuvée Constance.

Château Coutet Cuvée Madame

I think he’s referring to the African version… but you are correct.

Yes. South African. Klein Constantia.

This, though my #3 would be Rieussec. Obviously I prefer a much richer, heavier style