Scherrer Winery - BD 11 only special on Mini-Verticals

Fred, if you need to give my order to Emily please do. And then just send me any 3 chards.

She was busy with her own BD offering so got to look out for the peeps

Aww, Brig, your sweetness!! Thanks guys. I just couldn’t find a button to push, Fred, as the website showed ‘Out of Stock.’
I’ll pm you, we’ll work it out. Maybe a little tradeypoo…

I ordered 2 packs of the Old and Mature zins. Looking forward to trying them once it is OK to ship to the midwest.

Fred,

I would love to be able to sample your Chards as well. I had the same issue as Emily, when I went on last night to purchase the Chards, it said “sold out”, so there was no way for me to complete my order. I am also fine with doing the 2014-2016 vintages instead of the 2013-2015 if that is what it takes. Please let me know if you can make this happen. You can PM me if that works better for you.

Thanks, Paul

already received a shipping notification! That was fast!

Fred, what is your drinking window recommendation for the chards? I bought 3 3-packs so definitely want to spread them out a bit. I saw your comments earlier in the thread about releasing early to the list and later to the trade but since these already have some age, I’m assuming these are at least in the early part of the window but don’t have any prior experience with these. Thanks!

Thanks. Things may look good for next week except for way further north. We tend to ship out on Mondays and Thursdays (wine is still moving over the weekend-if the temps along that part of the route are mild, so much the better than sitting in the warehouse over the weekend on your end).

F

You were fast…one of the early orders. I pack them as soon as Judi finishes entering them. It helps with the count so we don’t over-sell the limited items.

F

Tom, depending on one’s perspective the window looks different (sounds heavy). Your assumption is correct. All three are in that early window place where the fruit and non-fruit elements are knitted together very finely. 2013 and 2014 are more integrated than 2015 which has such spectacular fruit that it will take a bit longer for it to recede into the mix. You’ll be able to judge when to open the next set from there.

As far as how long they will go, that really hinges upon how much complexity from bottle bouquet you like to see. As much as I love the early window, those dried hay and wet stone notes are really compelling. Interestingly, I’ve seen bottles from the late 1990’s and early 2000’s really open up and get more youthful with hours of air. I wish I understood the chemistry of this effect better.

F

Thanks! I like to let them go until they are more mature so this helps quite a bit.

Fred - I will probably open one of your Platt’s this weekend. Any recommendations on which to open?

What will you be eating?

Hi Fred,

a question on you Zin (my wife says she doesn’t care for them and largely i agree) but my last regular purchase was Nalle - always found Doug worked wonders with the varietal. How would you compare your style with those?

Bill

Bill, Nalle runs a bit leaner than us. I think he has always tried to stay below 14% ABV and I admire his adherence to his standards. However, I am looking at things other than juice chemistry when deciding when to harvest and feel that for our site, somewhere in the mid-14’s seems to be where they land. I find that the range of fruit flavors, while still somewhat modest compared to the average Zin, run the gamut of red to blue to a little black. There are also slight herbal elements that combined with the subtle earthiness (like fresh loam) help balance the fruitiness. Most importantly, I am looking for an appropriate level of acidity to make the mouth water. There are perfumes that also show up at this level of ripeness. And, if you are into it, they age and develop gracefully when captured at this stage.

Most people who don’t like Zinfandel because of the heavy, jamminess that so many display tell me they actually like ours. I pour it before our Pinot Noirs when conducting a tasting. People who love the big, rich style tell me they don’t care for our Zins because they don’t taste like Zinfandel (to them). That should give you an idea of where they sit stylistically.

In the vertical pack, the 2013 has the most perfume and is the most elegant of the three. 2014 is the result of a drought-winter and has a bit more density and concentration (still, there’s the salivary response on the finish). 2015, like the rest of our 2015 reds appears to rely a bit more on acidity and less on tannin for the ‘angles’ it possesses than most vintages.

F

I’ll probably drink this one without food.

Then probably 2014. If possible, try open one day and work on it over the next day or two. It should open up marvelously over that period of time.

In for the Hallberg and Platt Pinot Noir packs! Thanks for keeping your offer open!

[thankyou.gif] order in - need to get out of my wheelhouse.

Great thank you

I guess, if you want to drive in the winning run, sometimes bunting is the best strategy.