Scherrer Says: ***Extended*** The Word of the Day is “Study” – Pinot, Syrah, Zin (& Chard) across Vintages

@ToddFrench
@Fred_Scherrer

Welcome! Scherrer Winery is pleased to be back for our fourth BerserkerDay. I’m your guide, Fred Scherrer. The word of the day is “study.”

For BerserkerDay 14, we offer several different ways to study what we are doing across various varieties, sites and vintages. Special BerserkerDay pricing of 20% off these select 3- and 6-packs.

We have listed Vinous ratings, where possible, because 1) consistency matters in rating criteria and 2) Vinous is the one publication that actually tastes everything we make, every vintage.

Study 1:

Pinot Noir is the main varietal we produce. Here is a study in vineyard sites we call the Sonoma Pinot Noir grand-triple-play: Compare bottlings from 2 vintages and three great but different corners of Sonoma County AVA’s: Platt from the Southern Sonoma Coast, Gunsalus from the Green Valley of Russian River Valley and ‘High Slopes’ representing the southernmost tip of the Russian River Valley where it begins to morph into a ‘coastal’ vibe.

Regularly $394, BerserkerDay Special $315, Click Here to Order.

This study includes:

• 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Platt Vineyard (Vinous 94+ pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Gunsalus Vineyard (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir ‘High Slopes’ (Vinous 94 pt)
  • 2018 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Platt Vineyard (Vinous 96 pt)
  • 2018 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Gunsalus Vineyard (Vinous 94 pt)
  • 2018 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir ‘High Slopes’ (Vinous 95 pt)

Study 2:

For a deep dive into Russian River Pinot Noir, here is a perfect opportunity to study how vintage affects the fit and finish across 6 vintages. All choices flow from a desire to showcase the AVA in the context of vintage personality. These bottlings originate within the Green Valley of Russian River Valley and display both the energy and the generosity of this great AVA.

Regularly $304, Berserker Special $243, Click Here to Order.

This study includes:

• 2015 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Vinous 90 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Vinous 94 pt)
  • 2018 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (Vinous 92 pt)
  • 2019 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (not yet reviewed)
  • 2020 Scherrer Winery Pinot Noir Russian River Valley (not yet reviewed)

Study 3:

Syrah has been another focus of ours for many years - before it was in favor and after it grew out of favor in the general marketplace. Two bottlings to sample here for a ‘Study in Syrah major and minor’: Calypso and Sasha. Calypso is a fine site to see over different vintages. It is a tiny vineyard dedicated to exploring and adapting the plantings as we have been discovering which clone/ rootstock/trellis-systems are best suited there. Between 2014 and 2017, there are very different kinds of growing seasons. This is a great opportunity to see how the site shines under varied lighting. Sasha is the name we give for the prettier side of this variety: redder fruits, somewhat lighter body and more upward trajectory on the finish. This is not an extreme contrast to the other Syrahs we make. It is a different facet to a lovely gem that may shine brighter for some of our palates.

Regularly $269, Berserker Special $215, Click Here to Order.

This study includes:

• 2014 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 90 pt)
  • 2015 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 92 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Syrah Calypso Vineyard, Russian River Valley (Vinous 95 pt)
  • 2016 Scherrer Winery Syrah, Sasha, Russian River Valley (Vinous 91 pt)
  • 2017 Scherrer Winery Syrah Sasha, Russian River Valley (Vinous 94 pt)

Study 4:

Zinfandel was where I started and had to include our ‘Old & Mature’ Vines bottling made from the Old Vines my grandfather planted in 1912 and ‘mature’ vines I helped my Father and Grandfather plant in the 1970s. A month ago, we finished pruning the old 3.4-acre block. The last time my dad pruned them was the 2019/2020 winter when I joined him in doing so. After a couple winters pruning it solo, my son joined me for the first time this winter. I’m quite protective of these old vines and how each one seems to need a different approach than the next, and he did a fantastic job of assessing each plant’s needs. While I have actually experimented with a more heady (“It’s Hedley!”) style years ago on a trial basis (2005-2007 special cuvee), this is a site that I think really expresses its best facets with an elegant perspective. I selected a short vertical of the three newest vintages we have in a meaningful quantity, in case someone is compelled to come back to the well.

Regularly $122, Berserker Special $98, Click Here to Order.

This study includes:

• 2018 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2019 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard (Vinous 94 pt)
  • 2020 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard (Vinous 94 pt)

Study 5:

Helfer Vineyard is a tiny vineyard just across the street from Kistler. It is a magical Chardonnay neighborhood, where the white, sandy version of Goldridge soil lies. This 1-acre site produces a very small production and extremely limited availability wine. While it is rich and complex, it has good balancing acidity.

Regularly $150, Berserker Special $120, Click Here to Order

• 2017 Scherrer Winery Chardonnay Helfer Vineyard (Vinous 93 pt)
  • 2018 Scherrer Winery Chardonnay Helfer Vineyard (Vinous 92 pt)
  • 2019 Scherrer Winery Chardonnay Helfer Vineyard (Vinous 92 pt)

You can find all of these offerings in one place with this link:

https://scherrerwinery.com/berserker-day-jan-2023/

Shipping:

We prefer GLS in CA and FedEx to the rest of legal shipping states, unless you have other requests. Shipping costs have increased steeply in the past months. West Coast shipping runs about $2.25 to $2.75/bottle. East Coast shipping runs about $5/bottle. We absorb a significant portion of the actual costs ourselves and hope the above discounts soften the blow.

You can find more information and our shipping rates here. Curbside Pick-up is available at the winery by appointment. Unfortunately, we are not licensed to ship to AR, CT, DE, MS, ND, RI, VT.

Most importantly, thank you for your continued support.

Fred (and Judi) Scherrer

4 Likes

I am probably missing it but I can’t find the coupon code. Stays in cart at full price.

Hold off until tomorrow. You cannot make purchases on offers that are listed in the Pre-View forum. Todd has informed the sellers of that, so they know that everything will come pouring in on the 27th.

1 Like

But I want more Scherrer pinot and I want it now!!!

2 Likes

Yup. We are not a BerserkerBusiness. You can look all you want today. Patience is a virtue.

F

Fred is a winemaking scientist – and a wicked good guitarist and singer too. We’ve been to his winery, done virtual tastings with him, and he and Judy have generously supported a non profit we were in charge of fundraising for. Scherrer bottles are always in the top 10 by total bottles in my cellar. It’s because beyond all of the above, the wines are exceptional, and one of the best deals in California to boot.

6 Likes

In for Study 1! Looking forward to it and have a great BD14!! Cheers!

3 Likes

Love Fred’s wines…in for a few studies!

1 Like

Just ordered 2 3-packs of the Chardonnay. The OMV Zin is fantastic, so much so that is all I have ordered in past BDs. Since I bought more OMV on futures, I’m branching out to try the Chards.

2 Likes

I was in regardless, but a Blazing Saddles joke will always get a buy. Thanks for the offers!

1 Like

Don’t sleep on Fred’s Pinot. Study #1 will give you a good look across the area. Order in!

4 Likes

In for Study 1, excited to try it!

1 Like

It’s great to be able to offer ready-made tastings to compare things all at once or in small snippets as you see fit.

Thanks,

F

1 Like

Mike, I’m glad you’re self-assigning some homework.

2 Likes

Blazing Saddles - Hedley

Waited patiently for this one. In for Pinot and Zinfandel

1 Like

Dave, that Chardonnay vineyard is really special. While it was some time ago, it fared very well in a couple of blind tastings done by NYC wine professionals alongside the biggest names in CA Chardonnay. One of my colleagues actually has the results posted on his own website: https://www.rameywine.com/awards/executive-wine-seminars-tasting-californias-finest-chardonnays-2013/

I hope you enjoy!

F

1 Like

That Chardonnay is fantastic. Badly need some in Mexico

3 Likes

In all fairness, that joke was suggested to me. But I liked it too and adopted it. Then I started thinking about Young Frankenstein jokes to pepper in, but decided to stop there.