Scarecrow Monsieur Etain release

In past vintages, I have been able to order 6 or 8 bottles (which I eagerly maxed out). In 2015, was just a single 2-pack. Which made sense given yields were down. But now for 2016, appears again will only be offered one 2-pack. Sort of disappointing.

My first year and got the card with offer of just 2 bottles. Not passing on this offer.

Disappointing perhaps? However you could look into 2016 Togni Estate for $135, just released, don’t know about availability? Could be a great opportunity!

I was thinking the same thing when I started the thread. I really REALLY like Carter wines, and was wondering if the Scarecrow M. Etain would compare to Carter’s lineup of cabernets from the Weitz and Beckstoffer vineyards.

Got my card. I’m in.
Bottom line: first wine or second wine, it’s good.

While it’s a little disappointing to “only” be allocated 2 bottles, it’s also a bit of a relief not feeling obligated to buy more!

I’m sure there is some overlap of who buys Togni AND Scarecrow, but the drinking window on a wine like Togni vs. M. Etain are wildly different. The 1991 Togni is 27 years young at this point, so that won’t bode well for people buying the 15 and 16 Togni.

Interesting brand to bring up in this conversation as I think for as good as the Togni wines are, the Tanbark Hill is a dramatic drop off in quality between the two wines.

I have been buying Scarecrow since the 2005 vintage AND I ACTUALLY DRINK IT. We opened a 2012 a few weeks ago. I find it to be outstanding. I have never hand The Tin Man, but I am thinking about it this year just to try it out. Can anyone without a grudge give me an honest compare and contrast? Worth it is a mostly irrelevant question because that depends so much on the value of the marginal dollar to the purchaser.

I love these wines (Scarecrow and M Etain) and similarly buy them and drink them. I try to give the M Etain 3-6 months before popping one, but find them very presentable early. That said, it’s hard for me to say that the M Etain is just an “earlier drinking version” of the Scarecrow, because I’ve had some Scarecrows shortly after (6-12 months) release that performed on all cylinders.

The M Etain may not have as much nuance/layers as the Scarecrow; the fruit pushes forward in abundance, trending reddish purple, although there is always a kiss of Rutherford Dust on the finish. I find more baking spice tones in the Scarecrow, and a more red/black fruit profile; and a longer finish. Both wines have terrific energy.

In sum, if you like Scarecrow, I would be surprised if you don’t like M Etain.

In for the two pack tomorrow.

Do we know what time the release is? I’ve heard that it sells out quite quickly.

Invite and email says 9AM PDT.

Thanks Kyle. I’m traveling for work and I forgot to bring the invite, so I appreciate your help! Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

OPEN & IN !

In for two but man that shipping is high. Over 20% of the bottle cost.

In for a two pack.

It looks like they opened the ordering site a bit early for those who tried to order. I was able to order at 11:35 EDT.

The shipping is high, but it covers the fancy box, the packing materials and the labor to put it all together. I could do without the fancy box, but it does look cool. Not sure what to do with the empties though as they are too nice just to trash out.

I hesitated after seeing the shipping… but at least it’s not taxed (unlike some other wineries). Living in California any small difference counts

I’m in CA and did will call ($16), and had to pay CA tax. I think I saw tax for the shipping options as well; how did you not pay tax?

I thought the shipping was high as well (though mine is coming to Texas), but this does account for some of it