Scarecrow allocation

I just logged in and I’m on the 3/4 wave, I couldn’t see what they will let me get.

I can get 6 of the leather bags if I want.

Was last year the first time Scarecrow produced 3L bottles?

Did a search online, and don’t see a single mention of these anywhere, let alone for sale. Really curious what the secondary market for these would go for considering the $5K price tag, and very limited production.

I know that I won’t be offered one this year, as it is only my 2nd year receiving allocations, but my roommate has been on list since around 2010. Want to let him know whether it would be worth pulling the trigger on or not if he’s offered!

The Mag and 3L are tough to consider on a music teacher’s budget. I wonder how many folks will pass on those in an off but controversial, lower production vintage. Any Hong Kong collectors biting? I’ve got mine up on the Commerce Corner.

Imo scarecrow is tough to consider for anyone , especially the Mag and 3L.

If anyone interested in the 1.5L and 3L or even the 750’s, PM me. Not sure I will take all this year.

$5k per 3L is a tough consideration on an NBA player’s budget

Ya, comes out to $1,250 per 750ml.

Got my letter today, 3 bottles of 750 @ $400 each

Scarecrow and Shafer HSS probably 2 of the of the more expensive Cabs off the list I buy.

I logged on and saw that I am getting an allocation. And got the card in the mail today

Yup, received my card. Purchased 3x2015 and 3x2016. Not sure about this year. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm as I’m on the fence about this year.

2017 that sketchy of a year?

It’s bookended by better (according to the critics and those ITB).

Yep, sure enough, the roommate received an offer to purchase a 3L for $5K today.

Unfortunately, the window to purchase opens tomorrow, so not much time to think about this. The only reason he’d purchase, would be to flip it for a profit. $5K on a restaurant servers budget…

So, anyone have any advice on this? Odds of being able to get north of $5K in return?

My opinion. Not worth the risk unless you are ok keeping it.

1. Down year in terms of ratings/vintage, surrounded by 2 good years (in all likelihood).
  2. Big premium for the bottle size .
  3. Economy/stock market on edge.
  4. Asia area in a major state of flux.
  5. Multiple sellers on Commerce Corner ( with no visual demand).

Bruce makes all really great points on the 3L. Probably better off buying a few gold medallions if you want an investment. More than double the price of the Mag with the down year.
Just my thoughts is when the '18’s are offered, there will be a price increase of at least $50/bottle(I hope I am wrong). This was the wrong year for an increase based on the vintage.
These wines will go the distance as I have had an 2003 and 2007 over the past year and both are still going strong.

Very solid points here.

Is Scarecrow even that hot of a wine anymore? I was looking at aggregate producer scores on CT and there are other producers, like Maybach, who score higher and are much less expensive. Are we chasing a trend that was hot 10+ years ago? This isn’t a troll…I bought last year and the year before.

If the prices keep escalating then I see this as a wine that will lose its luster. Though a very well made wine like Harlan, once it cannot be afforded by most or most will not want to pay the tariff, then I think the trend will be over. Remember this was only suppose to be a $150/bottle several years ago so everyone could enjoy. I don’t beget them raising based on secondary prices, but at $400/bottle with tax and high shipping costs added in, Maybach/Myriad/R-M are all cheaper and have excellent track records.

Agree. All of us have an imaginary price line where we no longer buy and move on to another winery. Scarecrow is right around that threshold for myself. It is the most expensive wine I buy annually. I figure if the price stays steady I can get a few more vintages before I move on.

Ditto