Say bruschetta to me

OK, perhaps our panel will find this one easier: ceci.

Is it “chay-chee,” as I learned it, or is it “see-see” as my Italian-American friend says it?

[rofl.gif] on the “see-see”. First version is closer, but it should really be more “cheh-chee”.

Thanks, Jorge (I won’t tell my friend that you laughed at her pronunciation, though).

Any idea about 'Nfigghiulata? It really is a tasty thing – cauliflower, pork, salami, provolone, olives, etc. spread over an oval of bread dough, rolled, baked, and sliced crosswise like a jelly roll – and it would be nice to be able pronounce it!

On a vaguely related note I ate with two (northern) Italian friends at a restaurant in Annapolis yesterday and one was served an espresso with a slice of lemon peel; this 70 year old Italian man (born in Liguria and currently mostly living in Milan) had absolutely no clue as to why it was there.

Oh and while I speak reasonably good (standard) Italian, I would guess that 'Nfigghiulata would be something like (e)N-fee-gyew-LAH-tah but I really do not know much Sicilian.

Very interesting. Truth be told, I’ve only had espresso in this manner here in the states. I was told the first time that the squeezed lemon peel would cut the bitterness of the coffeee a bit. It’s all been one big lie then? [cry.gif]

There may be some tradition in southern Italy but as far as I can tell this is a US invention.

In Tuscany we were told that if you order a lemon with your espresso, it means you have a hangover.

Thanks, Cole. Sounds good to me…

I am constantly being provided with lemon when I order espresso and I always push it aside.

Just today I ate lunch at Catherine Lombardi, in New Brunswick (and finished with espresso and neglected lemon). This is a magnificent space, with highly polished service, but with food that probably resembles what Rocco (whatsisname) served in that TV show a few years back. Deliberately naive Americanized versions of Italian food. My partner ordered chicken parmigiano and spaghetti. She got a large perfectly cooked chicken breast, smothered under about an inch of melted mozzarella. No parmigiano in sight. And a big pile of fat spaghetti noodles. I had eggplant parmigiano, not quite so excessively cheese covered but a far cry from Tuscany or Sicily. The app’s were Italian Wedding Soup – no small meatballs and Acini pasta, one big hard meatball in the bowl, no pasta of any sort, and some limp greens and melted cheese in snowflakes.

It is painful to see this great space used for this silly food. At least they have a world class bartender.

Sounds like some matzoh ball soup I’ve had. Is the kitchen staff Jewish, perhaps?