Saxum's 2016 Winter Release

I think it’s one of each. I’ve never quite understood their allure …Magnums not Saxum.

Magnums are a better long term storage vessel.

If any of the first wavers could post the tasting notes from today’s release, I would appreciate it.

+1

Here you go:
2013 BROKEN STONES ($98)
48% Syrah, 22% Petite Sirah, 17% Grenache, 6% Mourvèdre, 4% Tempranillo, 3% Roussanne (15.5% alc.) 1465 cases produced

The Syrah-dominated 2013 Syrah Broken Stones always incorporates small amounts of Petite Sirah (22% in 2013), Grenache and Mourvedre and will see 18-20 months in mostly new French oak. Inky colored and mineral-laced, with the chalkiness that’s so common from these limestone soils, it gives up lots of red and black fruits, liquid violets, licorice and meatiness to go with a full-bodied, nicely structured, layered profile on the palate. Coming after the tannic 2012s, you really see the improvement in the tannin quality here. (96-98) Points from eRobertParker.com, #220, Aug 2015

2013 BONE ROCK VINEYARD ($98)
80% Syrah, 10% Mourvèdre, 5% Grenache, 5% Roussanne (15.2% alc.) 450 cases produced

A co-fermented blend of Syrah and a splash of Roussanne, the inky colored 2013 Syrah James Berry Vineyard Bone Rock reveals a heavenly bouquet of Hermitage-like dark fruits, violets, crushed rocks and seared meats. Big, rich and structured, it has phenomenal purity and elegance given its size and delivers a big dose of tannin on the huge finish. A wine that could flirt with perfection, it will demand short-term cellaring and keep for two decades. (98-100) Points from eRobertParker.com, #220, Aug 2015

2013 BOOKER VINEYARD ($98)
67% Syrah, 33% Mourvèdre (15.8% alc.) 380 cases produced

From an east facing, two-acre block in Eric Jensen’s estate Vineyard, the 2013 Booker Vineyard is another terrific red that has full throttle notes of blackberries and assorted dark fruits, ground herbs, gamy meat and crushed rock. Big, full-bodied, concentrated and with a stacked mid-palate and a blockbuster finish, it has the fruit and texture to impress on release, yet the balance and depth to evolve for 15 years or more. Note, this cuvee always incorporates a healthy dose of Mourvedre, which is a variety that Smith continues to think has more and more potential for the region. (98-99) Points from eRobertParker.com, #220, Aug 2015

2013 HEART STONE VINEYARD ($98)
54% Syrah, 35% Grenache, 11% Mourvèdre (15.7% alc.) 650 cases produced

The 2013 Heart Stone Vineyard is the most fruit-loaded, forward and approachable of the '13s. Black raspberries, kirsch, spring flowers and pepper all emerge from this full-bodied beauty and it has the purity, prettiness and elegance of the vintage. It will drink nicely on release and have at least a decade of longevity. If you’re looking to try one of the '13s right on release, this is the one. (94-96) Points from eRobertParker.com, #220, Aug 2015

[cheers.gif] Thanks Sherri!

Whos in a little or a lot

For me it was a lot, excited to get a few mags

I am a second waver. Waiting for next Tuesday to come.

I got my email. Got to decide what I am taking. Those are pretty good tasting notes.

Booker magnums already gone… (they are a storage nightmare for me anyway)

Still on the fence with this one. Just kills me with the exchange rate.

ALOT, Allocations are not as good as the past !

Always in for the whole allocation. I really like this wine, and can’t resist the magnums. In for one of each of those. But am scaling way back on other purchases this year. Had to skip Schrader altogether after years of buying.

Purchasing all the 750’s but passing on the magnums.

Hey, thanks for the orders and the positive words, it’s much appreciated! If anybody has any questions, shoot!

[thankyou.gif]

Hey Justin- I thought you mentioned a return of Rocket Block at some point. Maybe that was just wishful thinking?

Justin

So far ive only popped one 13 JBV but it didnt seem as approachable as the 12 JBV, i understand that the 13 will ultimately come around but how far behind the 12’s do you think they will be. Now im curious as to what the 14’s are going to be like, we read about the drought and we are expecting dense concentrated explosive wines, what are you seeing in the barrel

Hey Jody, 2013 Rocket Block is still in barrel. I am planning on bottling it around June for the Fall 2016 release! Only around 250 cases though, so allos will be tight.

Hi Alan, to me the 13 is at a similar stage to the 12 at this age, the tannins are just starting to sweeten up, but I’d let it chill for another two years if you really want her to sing. As for the 14s, I think they are going to be the most approachable since maybe 07/08. They’re still in barrel so no counting chickens yet, but I think you’ll be able to drink them while you wait for the 12s and 13s to come around. Big soft tannins and lots of rich fruit with lower acidities, definitely crowd pleasers.

Very cool Justin - I hope to try it. I’ll have to bribe someone if they’re gone before it gets to me. How about trying something new this fall and allocate in reverse alphabetical order!

This is GREAT news!!!

Good news for you cuz you’re in the first wave. [cheers.gif]