Saxum offering, any thoughts?

Sometimes you’ve got to roll the dice based upon recommendations from other people. You find people whose palates you respect and calibrate yourself with that. I rolled the dice on Saxum back in 2005 or 2006. I bought in without ever tasting it. Loved it, kept buying it and now it is now the second largest part of my cellar by number of bottles (Carlisle wins). Live a little. Take risks. It’s only money. I’ve made a few mistakes buying wines I had never tasted, but not that many.

Also bought my first Saxum bottles before I tasted. Just uncorked 08 BS for tonight.

I bought my first SAXUM in 2004 and didn’t try one til about 2007 … Having bought the other vintages on faith.

When I finally got around to trying one, I was sorry I’d only dipped my toe in the water. Should have jumped.

+1

Why worry about $89 when just about everything from Napa is $150? Or more?
Paso & Saxum are half the price for same quality from Napa.
IMHO
but only buy what you like.
I do like Saxum. It gets me in trouble.
I remember the year my wife said “buy more” and the only 2004 Heart Stone was for sale in Maryland or some such place. Shipping solved the problem and we are still married.
It all started with a suggestion from a restaurant, Bouchon in Santa Barbara.
Then a buy un-tasted.
Followed by years of enjoyment.
Sometimes you get lucky.

Agreed. I really don’t understand the angst from Mike. Took a shot on Carlisle back in 2002 based on Parker (yeah, I know) and Bedrock in 2010 based on board recommendations and never looked back; the top two producers in my cellar. Ordered 2 Broken Stones last year, opened one this week to check in before considering reordering. I believe I did my due diligence.

08 BS is a luck-inducing winner for sure!

I’m a buyer, but I don’t buy into the “it’s only $89” mentality. I do agree to buy what I like, but $89 is still a lot of dough for a bottle of vino - even if others cost more.

I’m a buyer, but I don’t buy into the “it’s only $89” mentality. I do agree to buy what I like, but $89 is still a lot of dough for a bottle of vino - even if others cost more

This site makes it easy to lose sight of where the big money is in wine, under $20/bottle made by wineries doing millions of cases a year. A recent article picked out the over $20 buyers as the wine elite. Many on this site spend much more per bottle. What is or is not an expensive bottle of wine is a personal economic decision. Most of my adult life I thought over $20 was getting pricey, and still think $89 is not a weeknight wine. Wineries are entitled to charge what the market will bear. If they charge too much, they won’t sell out. Personally I find Saxum a better value than other more-expensive wines I like (SQN, etc.), but also have to agree that $89 is not inexpensive. It’s at the high end of Paso. The only more expensive Paso wines that come to mind are Clos Solene and Pharaoh Moans.

+1

Did anyone get an answer to this question?

Direct from the Saxum email:
If inventory allows after February 11th, we will add the requested item(s) to your shipment, charge your credit card, and email you a second order confirmation for the additional wines.

Yes Ken, we are working on wish stuff now. What it looks like we will be able to do is grant those who were only offered Broken Stones a bottle of Booker Vineyard if it was requested. Sorry we couldn’t do more, but demand was a little stronger then we anticipated.

Michael, we all have different thresholds, different comfort zones, different tastes, makes it interesting.

Thanks for the support guys!

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks for the reply, Justin.

“demand was a little stronger then we anticipated.”

A nice problem to have. [cheers.gif]

Has anyone received a confirmation for a wishlist request? I’m wondering if I was one of the lucky ones or not.

No word yet for me.

Any idea how long it takes to go from signing up for the wait list and getting an allocation? And does anyone know where I can find out when I actually signed up for mailing list? Been a few years and I can’t seem to track down my original email…

Ya, sorry folks, we weren’t able to grant any wishes. I thought were going to be able to, but we ended up short.

Ed, you should be able to log into your account and check your info about when you signed up. Right now it’s about 4 years wait. If you can’t log in, contact Sierra at info@saxumvineyards.com

Thanks again everyone. Really really appreciate it!!

still on the waiting list but I think it deserves though I haven’t tried any one until last year

Justin,
While I’m enormously pleased for your success, I miss the days when my allocation was measured in cases, rather than bottles.

Some time ago, in an email you mentioned that you were considering bottling some large formats for the old timers. Have you given any more thought to that?

By the way, last weekend my son drank one of my few remaining '02 Bone Rock and reported back that it is still kicking.

So while I wait a few more years to finally get an allocation, what’s a good alternative? Booker?